Dressing removed & all revealed!😟

Posted , 16 users are following.

Just persuaded my daughter to remove my dressing for the first time since I returned home and apply a new one (discharged on 21st April) and asked her to photograph my poor old battered knee and so here it is! (Hope you've eaten!)

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, it looks very good though. No redness. Did it scare you? Lol. 
    • Posted

Oh dear codeine has kicked in! I meant to send the reply to you and instead sent it to myself-must definitely be in shock!!!👀
  • Posted

No more than photos in general of me, but I was a bit shocked at how swollen and battered it looked! My logo photo is my first TKR at about the same stage and I was shocked with that as it was a new experience! I couldn't look at it for months, and it made me cringe when I rubbed Bio oil into it! It took months to accept it as part of me🙄
  • Posted

Looks exactly like mine except they didn't use staples.

And HOW are you able to put pics in here...that's COOL!

Teach me that

• Posted

David, in the reply box, to your right you'll see B...the last box click on it like this
    • Posted

I took a photo on my iPad then pressed the icon on far right in this box and followed the instructions-bingo!
  • Posted

Awww, sorry for you. It is a part of us, Glenda. I took lots of pictures of mine too. It's 18 months for me now and looks much better, but I'll have pictures to show after May 4. Some places glue it together. Less scarring I'd say. I don mind the scars, it's part of our journey. It has a story to tell. Take it easy and hoping you'll have a great recouvery. 
  • Posted

Welcome to the club,incision looks good, reminds me of mine 10wks. You do have some bruising and swelling normal. Take care of yourself and
  • Posted

Looks good to me. I have dissolvable stitches on my wound done 13th April and mine isn't that neat. Right PKR last oct again with dissolvable stitches gets fatter at the top so I refer to it as  "my worm" I expect that my left knee scar will be the same.  Doesn't bother me  at all, part of my journey. I have taken loads of photos during my journey so far with both knees. Wishing you a great recovery.
  • Posted

Very cool photo......thanks for sharing!  Doesn't look anything like mine though.  I have curved side incision closed by glue😳😳😳😳😳

• Posted

It's strange how different materials are used to fix the top layer! 26 clip things, exactly the same as the first one! Probably my consultants lucky number! I understand that there are few layers below that are stitched using dissolvable material! As long as the new knee works I'm not that bothered about the scar!
    • Posted

Scar doesn't bother me either but I am anxious to start working on it, can't do that till scab totally gone.  Four weeks and still a bit left.
    • Posted

Yes, I still rub Bio oil on my old scar to make it feel comfy!
    • Posted

Vit E oil was the recommended product from my therapist. Many use bio oil. Just stay away from products the consistancy of baby oil and body lotions, etc. They may feel good but won't penetrate the tissue and do deep healing. Remember you have various levels of damage and what you will find is after the external scar heals you may experience a renewal of various pain but generally speaking, these are pains that come and go but can scare the heck out of you. There may be some internal stitches that have to heal and the way they
    • Posted

Heal can cause a little discomfort. Sometimes that material they use for the stitches dissolves at a different rate.

Sounds like everything is going like a text book case for you.

• Posted

Thanks for the exercise recommendations.  I did them immediately and will continue.  I am determined to do my part.  Have a two week "lots of walking" vacation coming mid June so I have my work cut out for me.
    • Posted

I think I am very lucky....never had any concerns about my "wound."  Has always looked clean and dry.  Not one bit of oozing.

To my understanding the skin is cut on one side of knee, flapped over and the inside incisions are in a curve on the opposite side. This overlap is supposed to cut down on bleeding and the possibility of infections.

• Posted

Hi!

I was advised by the nurse to start using it after the clips were removed as it was fully "healed and sealed"! You can't put anything on it or get into any swimming pools etc until it has healed or you'll be in big trouble bug wise! I remember the physio telling me to give the knee a good massage (made me cringe but you get over it-I just didn't look!) with the oil after washing. It really did help and I still invest in pot as although it's pricey you don't need much so it lasts for ages! Tesco, Boots,Superdrug, Lloyds all sell it but watch out for offers! I dare say there are alternative oils that members might recommend but that's my indulgence!👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.