Drinking on Citalopram??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Afternoon all,

I’ve been on 10mg of Citalopram for 3 weeks now and I’m finally in a happy place. My social has been out on hold for a while but I now want to start getting myself out again. 

I know having a social life isn’t all about drinking but does anyone have advice on drinking whilst taking Citalopram? Is there any side affects? Or certain drinks I need to stay away from? I know everyone is different and how they react. Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicky

Great to hear you’re feeling good again and a good sign that you want to get out again. 

I’ve been on Citalopram for a long time and at its highest was on 40mg. I drank occasionally and sometimes on a big night out and was fine. I do however recognize that alcohol is a depressant drug so can effect my mood so I never made it a regular thing that I’d drink a lot. 

Why not just start off having one or two drinks and see how you are if you’re really keen to drink alcohol? I think part of the advice not to drink on meds is because alcohol can reduce the effectiveness of meds. 

Good luck with it. If you notice a negative effect with drinking then stop!

• Posted

Hi... I have been taking Citalopram for about 8yrs. I've had no problems what so ever with drinking.. 😊

• Posted

i would suggest that you don't drink whilst taking this medication as this medication is helping anxiety and drink makes it worse 

• Posted

i would suggest that if you need to drink that beer and lager ,but not spirits

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.