DrIving

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I'm 5 weeks post op today and have just managed to ditch my crutches and use a walking stick, I'm about 90 degrees flexibility but still lots of pain at night.  However this last couple of days I'm feeling more like myself again and finally have a little more energy.  I see my consultant for my first check up in two weeks.  Does anyone know how long it is before you can drive again? 

0 likes, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kerrie,

I had a TKR on my left knee. I live in the US and my primary car is automatic and can be safely operated with my right foot. I was able to drive after 2 weeks. I had to wait until, and was off the opiate pain meds. I didn't drive far as I really did not have the stamina, but it was not a strain. I did have a great rom early and that certainly made getting in and out of the car easier.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kerrie. You might do a search for "Driving" in this section. We just had a back-and-forth discussion about driving about a week ago, and it will give you all kinds of info and opinions.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

After you are off your narcotic medicine during the day you can drive. Good luck with your recovery.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Every Dr seems to have their own opinion. My Dr says it not so much the driving once you are off pain meds but what could happen if you were in an accident and getting the leg jammed up under the steering wheel or dash or even just the sudden impact. Lots of internal stitches still mending. I would check with the surgeon. In Some countries the insurance isn't valid until certain criteria are met. That's not the case in the US however.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kerrie

Im in the UK and drive a manual car i drove after six weeks and was off my medication my knee was a little sore at first im 9 week's after my op and it feels ok now i had a go in a car park at night first just to make sure everything was ok.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kerrie,

the only person who can give you the go ahead are your consultant or some one from him team, Not your GP.

if you drive without that you will be not insured.

its all to do with the bend on your knee.

i know thus is true in the uk.

ive just been given permission my self.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

9 weeks,

It's  also to do with pain, but it's the bend that gets the go ahead.

its because you have to be able to do a emergency stop.

maje sure your permission comes from the right person,as advised with out it, your insurance would not cover it.

i noticed even when I was a passenger in a car after my operation every time the driver put there foot on the brake I fealt  the pressure affect my knee quite badly, so imagine what it's going to be like when you are the one

driving.

by the way I also have a automatic car

wish you well

alison

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kerrie,

I agree with Alison.

In Ireland insurance will not cover you until the consultant gives the all clear to drive, usually about 6 weeks, for me about 8/9 weeks.

Take care,

Alan

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I saw my physio yesterday and she was adamant that I use a crutch not a stick. Also I was not to walk without support except short distances in the house. As for driving - I have an automatic but I have to wait until I see the consultant planned for six to eight weeks post op. At the moment I'm on too many painkillers......

I think it would depend on speed of recovery.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Everyone is different. By the time I had TKR four and a half years ago I had already given up driving, so was not wanting to drive again.

Ask your consultant when you see them, but my guess is that it may not be too long before you can drive again.

Good luck

Sarah

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Some people shoot their mouth off and brag theywere driving in a week etc... I have seen first hand what doing too much too soon looks like! your knee will swell up 5 times its size andlook like a mellon instead of a knee.  So take it easy.  Its been 5 weeks for my husband and we go back next week on the 14th for an Eval. I am sure he will be allowed to drive then.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up