DrIving

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi I'm 5 weeks post op today and have just managed to ditch my crutches and use a walking stick, I'm about 90 degrees flexibility but still lots of pain at night.  However this last couple of days I'm feeling more like myself again and finally have a little more energy.  I see my consultant for my first check up in two weeks.  Does anyone know how long it is before you can drive again? 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was told by my physio yesterday not to use a stick as it pulls you out of alignment. I have a set of two walking sticks which he says are much better since they support you on both sides.  I am 5 weeks post opp. Good luck
  • Posted

There is no set time; everyome is different.  Some guidelines:

1. You never drive while you are on the opioid pain killers.  Period.

2. If you drive with a clutch and that's your TKR knee, it's gonna be a long while.  You'll need both ROM and strength.

3. If you can't lift the TKR knee from gas to brake quickly, don't drive.  Your slow reaction time could get you into a lot of trouble.

4. If you drive an automatic and had the TKR on the opposite side of the gas/brake, you could probably drive as soon as you're off the opioids.

5. In all cases, talk to your doc and PT for guidance.

• Posted

If you feel happy with driving try a short journey

If you have an automatic it's much easier

Depends on which knee you had surgery on

mine was left knee 11+ years ago and was driving 6 weeks later

Good Luck

Ps Iam now on waiting list for my Right Knee wish me luck 😀

• Posted

For me driving started once I was confident to use the brake, it was my right knee and I am right footed. I was driving inside two weeks, as I was confident to use the brake, but getting in and out of the car to start with was painful as my leg bend was poor.

good luck

• Posted

Today - 5 weeks post op- drove my automatic for the first time. Getting in an out of the car difficult but when I came home I moved the seat back and swung both legs out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.