Driving

Posted , 13 users are following.

How long before most of you drove your car after tkr? I realize it's an individual thing, just wondering on average..

0 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was six weeks, but it was an automatic and I had a right knee replacement, don't know if I'd have managed with a manual!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello, I was driving a manual after eight weeks. Found it hard at  first and did short trips only. After a couple of weeks I felt more confident and progressed to longer trips.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I drove our Kia at six weeks. It took a few weeks longer for me to figure out how to vault into MY vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee! (Short legs+ TKR= BIG challenge getting into high vehicles!)😁

I have to say, though, the DRIVING wasn't the hardest part for me. I found myself a bit frightened and unsure of myself even after having driven for over 40 years!

Anyone else feel a bit strange getting back to being on the road after having knee replacement surgery?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

7 weeks to drive a Nissan Micra 5 speed manual. no sweat. 11 weeks to drive a bus, a 6 speed manual.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My doctor said I would have to be at least at 90-100 degrees in my bend and have my leg straight. My right knee was replaced so it being the driving leg , he approximates at least 7 wks post op.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I was driving at 10 weeks after left TKR two years ago.  I felt some pressure on the front of my knee at first, particularly when holding down the clutch, but this went away eventually.  I became very good at  going into neutral at traffic lights to give my knee a rest!  I know - we are supposed to do that anyway!  Five weeks after my second knee replacement at the end of last year, my consultant said that he thought the knee was strong enough to try driving.  However, I left it a further two weeks before I attempted it and it was fine.  Not as much pressure on the accelerator required as compared to the clutch pedal,  so it was very comfortable. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Two weeks, went back to work, 15 miles one way. Little shaky, worked 6 hour day for first week, was off of opiates. Ibuprofen seemed to work for me. I was able to sit down most of the day, probably too quick to go back to work but worked for me. Two knee replacements 3 months apart, same schedule for both. I was 62 then. That was three years ago. All good with the new knees, best of luck to all.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up