Driving after a tkr.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

5 weeks and 2 days after my TKR(left knee) I drove my automatic car 70 miles to the office 1st day back !!

It was good to see everyone as I had been working from home since coming home from the OP.

The journey from the North West to the Midlands can take over 2 hours but I did it in 1 hour 50 mins and all seemed ok. I kept my knee moving as best I could whilst driving. At the office I sat at my desk and as we are on the 1st floor I made sure that I went into our factory regularly. I also had a go in our gym that we luckily have. Bike & crosstrainer. I did just enough to keep moving and not enough to sweat in my shiirt and tie.(I am a sales Director).

This was the first time in 5 weeks that I had not elevated my knee or iced at some point.

Anyway I am writing to say that everyone who advised me on the forum that it was too soon. You were RIGHT !!!

When I got home after 2 hours my knee was stiff and swollen. An hour later it felt like a lead weight and I regretted running before I could walk.

This morning the swelling has reduced and I feel better as I am working from home. Sadly I have to travel again Monday as we have our largest customer visiting. My advice to anyone one is to leave it as long as your job allows ! Its not clever to do what I have done but I was going stir crazy at home. I hope that Monday does not set me back again !!

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, no not a good idea at all to drive all that way and then to have to sit for long periods, still its a lesson learnt. Just try to take things easier and let your body heal. I'm 61/2 months and still wary of what I'm doing. Good luck for a speedy recovery
    • Posted

Thanks for your words I will take heed !!!
  • Posted

Seven weeks, and I still haven't driven the car (also an automatic) although i feel quite sure there would be no problem . . I'm just a little worried that the strong painkillers and sleeping tablets might put me over the limit for 'drugs' were i to have a crash.  Glad you have the chance to work from home, and hope that Monday goes easier for you.  I'm now 'just a housewife' as they say, but when I overdo things the leg certainly tells you!
  • Posted

I agree too much too soon.  I think we all heal differently tho.  I know I felt fabulous and lifted more than I should at six weeks bd it set he way back.  I'm now 7 months post surgery....and I feel I'm still healing and improving.  I read some of the things people are doing and before my own surgery I would have thought fine, but I've changed my opinion.  This is majorly surgery and it takes a great desk of time to heal and get over it.  I've been biking in Florida all winter and I know that's made my keg stronger.  We are olso in a stilt house so I have 14 steps...and I've sure I do these a dozen times a day.  Around Christmas I was still using my cane some at night, and so very, very stiff after sitting.  Over the past two months I haven't used my cane and I'm not stiff hardly at all anymore.  Time, patience, and the right exercise I believe are important.  Good luck to you....try not to work too hard.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply we are going away for a long weekend at Easter (April)to a place called Centreparcs in the UK. It is in the lake district a beautiful part of England and its an actvitiy centre where every indoor and outdoor pursuit you can think of is possible. Apart from Skiing which I doubt would be my cup of tea anyway. I intend to take my bike as you need one to get around as the place is huge. I can just get full revolution on the exercise bikes so I have a month or so to work at it !

I will take notice with the driving !!

Mike

• Posted

I heard a story about driving after tkr while at my physio. She told me that a patient of hers was all finished her therapy at 12 weeks and was involved in an accident and busted her knee, the incision came right apart. We all know what happened next! Repeat. That story stayed with me. I am 12 wks post op today and I go back to work on Mon. Modified duties. 

Take ken care and don't be to hasty

• Posted

Sounds painful. I like to think that I am a good driver and I but its the other idiots that you have to watch ! White van man ! I will be ultra careful. Thanks.

Mike

• Posted

I'm at 17+ weeks! Due to a lonely elderly relative lving 300 miles away, I have travelled 1800 miles since my knee was done (it was my right, so I was longer getting back into our automatic car, but on these occasions, my husband drove!). I have had nothing but trouble, & I strongly advise you to take heed to all of us who have been daft enough to do what we shouldn't. I am now battling with many pockets of tissue fluid, that make my leg feel like a lead weight, & see my consultant next week as an emergency.

Veronica

• Posted

Hi Veronica

I will be very careful and I intend to limit the times that I drive to the office. It's up to the boss then if he wants to sack me ! Life and health are more important.

Thanks

Mike

• Posted

35 years ago I had to have gall bladder surgery and was off the full 6 weeks. @ 4 weeks my boss (he and I had been in the field together for years) started to gently nudge me the get moving. He actually started to get a little more nasty with his comments, which I finally told him to knock off. The story changed a couple of years later when he was the patient. I damn well reminded him of his words on several occasions. As the old saying goes, it all depends on whose ox it is that's being gored. Stay patient........ And tell the company to do likewise

• Posted

I hear ya. My boss was edging to get me to come back at 8 wks. When my consultant from work called me I told her that I'm not coming back until I'm cleared by my surgeon. I said, they've done without me this long so 4 more weeks won't kill them. Then I said if they can't do without me while I'm off sick then they're not paying me enough. I figured I must be some important. Needless to say, I'm back mon, we'd and fri for 3 hrs a day next week. Don't go until you're ready. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.