Driving after TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Is anyone else nervous about driving after a month and a half. Especially in winter slippery roads kind of weather. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not but I am not a fan of driving in the winter. Now after my TKR my Physio guy says I can drive now and my husband and some friends think I should be driving BUT, I am nervous that my knee is not ready and I sure don't want to damage it in any way because I don't want to go through this again with this knee. Bad enough that I have to have the other one done sometime this year.

Bev

0 likes, 36 replies

Report / Delete

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel exactly the same, Its 5 weeks since my TKR and I have 2 weeks before I see the surgeon and get the go ahead to drive, but changed to automatic 4 weeks before my op, so I am really worried too. My concentration isnt the best I find I am continually wondering off in my head. Lack of sleep and pains in the evening are not helping either
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I can relate to the lack of sleep. I find nights difficult still. Although I took a sleeping pill for the first time last night and it did help. But I was kind of groggy this morning. I am not used to sleeping pills.

I live in southern Alberta. Just above Montana. We are having fairly nice weather right now but it is supposed to rain and then at night it goes below freezing. It is the icy conditions that I am nervous about. Just a confidence thing I guess. I just have to get over it.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I too am having trouble sleeping. I have always been a good sleeper so this is a new experience for me. I took NyQuil last nite because I had it in the house and just needed to sleep. I too, felt groggy this morning. I'm going to try to sleep tonite , but will take it again if needed.

aside from the pain and the aches, does anyone have an explanation for the sleep problems? I would have thought that we would be so tired from the trauma to our bodies, that sleep would come easy.

ALSO, I am confused by the info that I'm hearing about staple! Are you in the states? I had internal dissolving stitches and haven't had to have anything removed. I take it that things are done differently elsewhere .

so sorry to hear of the discomfort that the staples have caused🙁

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Last night I actually slept for 6 hours in one go, the best I have slept since the op, dont expect it will last but trying lots of different things including omega 3, herbel sleeping tablet, my husband massaging of my leg before I go to sleep, also put my leg on a heated wheat pack and sleep on a pile of pillows. I only woke once last night and massaged arnica gel into the back of the knee and over and around the scar. Not sure if it was just luck or if one or a combination of them helped.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for reminding me of omega 3's and the arnica. I have both and will try. I'm over 6 weeks now and getting frustrated w/ not feeling normal.

hope u have another good notes sleep. 

by the way , I was told not to put heat on the knee?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I find reminers help. I only put the wheat pack on my half or sometimes wrap it around my thigh, not on the knee. another 5 1/2 hours sleep so actually starting to feel a little better, really hope it lasts and maybe by you trying some of what I am doing will help too 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Bev I live in the states, I had my left knee replaced three weeks ago Monday. They said that I could drive. I have driven a couple of times. I have an automatic. I do live in South Carolina, so no snow. I think if I lived in the north where there may be a chance of getting stranded, I would not drive. Use your best judgment if you are nervous. You may want to wait until good weather. Mark
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Mark. Yes it is the confidence issue. I just have to work up to it. I wouldn't worry about getting stranded because I won't be venturing very far at first anyway. Ha ha ha. I will let my husband do the long distance driving that is for sure.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I wouldn't drive in snowy, icy conditions whether I just had a TKR or not. I drove after 3 weeks because I hated relying on my husband just to drive me to therapy three times a week. I had good flexion and very little pain, and the therapy place was very close to home. I waited six weeks before driving a longer distance. If you're not confident yet then ask your husband to drive you. But if you can walk without a cane, do stairs up and down and aren't drugged on pain medicine, there probably won't be any issue with driving now.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Jemma

You have done well. I couldn't even think of driving after three weeks. I had way too much pain and swelling at that time. Good for you.

I guess I have to pick a time during the day that has less traffic and just go for a short jaunt to build up my confidence

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

One of the real areas of concern when out driving in bad weather is the simple act of getting out of the vehicle. You never can tell what's immediately under foot as you make contact with the ground. A little ice or snow or even just a couple of drops of oil and when all your weight is on the lead foot, you can be in trouble. Take time and look at the ground before leaving the vehicle
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes thanks that is so important. I have been using my cane going to physio so once I am finished with my cane I will have to be extra careful getting out of the car.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Driving for me was very scary and I have never driven in the snow. My advice is to take it slow. After the first couple of times I was fine and had my conference back.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up