Driving after TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Is anyone else nervous about driving after a month and a half. Especially in winter slippery roads kind of weather. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not but I am not a fan of driving in the winter. Now after my TKR my Physio guy says I can drive now and my husband and some friends think I should be driving BUT, I am nervous that my knee is not ready and I sure don't want to damage it in any way because I don't want to go through this again with this knee. Bad enough that I have to have the other one done sometime this year.

Bev

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my right legTKR March last year, I was told by my surgeon that I could not drive for at least 12 weeks.  I took his advice though. I drive an automatic and at 13 weeks i started driving but even then could only do short distances as my leg used to feel stiff, when kept in the same position.  Saying this I had a friend who had his left knee done and also drove an automatic and he was back driving at five weeks, but as he pointed out he did not have to use his right leg.   Also as you say it is not the ideal time of year with ice etc.  So if I was you I would not rush it - hope this helps
    • Posted

Thank you. Yes it is my right knee as well. I am at seven weeks post surgery and yes my knee is stiff and still a little swollen. I guess it will just take time and confidence and just short trips at first.
  • Posted

I feel the same way and mine is my left knee. I am 6 weeks post surgery and am still having my husband drive me to pt. I live in Massachusetts and we are experiencing ice and snow. 

I would advise you to listen to yourself, especially w/ a right knee. I say, better safe than sorry. Others can't tell you what they think you can do. You will drive when your body tells you you are ready. We women are not used to relying on anyone but we need to learn. Good luck and I hope this message helps.

• Posted

Well thanks so much. Yes you are getting blasted with weather lately I have to get used to the idea of getting behind the wheel again Just have to build a little confidence. Good luck and stay warm.
    • Posted

Sometimes necessity outweighs lack of confidence. My wife can no longer drive as she is in the advanced stage of Parkinson's disease. For a short time we had some help like meals on wheels and different friends taking us to Dr's appointments but that gets old quick. In March of '15 I had to have the prosthesis completely removed , the knee flused and closed up, immobilized and no weight bering , 8 weeks of antibiotic infusion then after nearly 4 months reopened. The new prosthesis was installed, again immobilized and 25% weight bearing. All of this time I was bouncing around on a walker trying to regain strength and take care of her. Cooking was very difficult even though I'm better than average with My culinary skills. Most of the time I was o.k.ed to drive but tring to get my walker in the car while not bending my leg or put weight on it was difficult.. What it proves is that some times we can do things out of necessity we didn't think was possible.we have deep cleaning help come in every other week and all of the hardware is done by outside services. I do all of the cokking, shopping, errands, Bill paying and decision-making regarding finances as her mind just can't process that stuff any more. The big difference......everything is done at an unbeli e veably slow and steady pace. No rushing, no hurrying and absolutely no looking back and 22nd guessing anything. We have 4 kids. 9 grandkids + a new step grandson and 9 great grandkids. She keeps all the birtdays listed so everyone gets cards and gifts but instead of shopping the grands and great Grande get gift cards and cash. The kids still get gifts but everything is ordered hi a the internet. So, life gets back to normal eventually however; it,s a different normal than the one you left behind with the tkr. Sorry b t o borevyou withball the personel crap but every once in awhile the brain like the body needs a good cleaning out. Stay safe.....stay warm and dry
    • Posted

Wow you have had to take on a lot. Kudos to you. And you are right necessity is a real big booster, I found that out when my Mom was ill.

I have noticed that you are always on here trying to help everyone. I hope you have good friends where you are to give you some help and a boost sometimes as well. Even if it is just a cup of coffee or tea and a few laughs. Nothing better than good friends to spend time with. Good luck and God bless.

• Posted

I was a bit nervous. I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it is a pretty big vehicle to climb UP INTO for starters. Also, I hadn't driven much recently. Also, with all the snow...well, I just was a bit nervous.

I drove to my hair appointment and prayed as I drove. It helped a lot.

I feel more confident now.

Sending prayers of confidence and courage to you tonight!

• Posted

Thank you Cheryl. My daughter has the same vehicle so I know what you mean. Yes I agree when I am ready I will have to grit my teeth, say a prayer and go for it. Lol
  • Posted

Hi all.. I answered almost the same thing on Shannons post.. YES, I was nervous about driving.. Right knee.. Confidence is a real problem for me.. I am usually confident and independent.. and this surgery has changed everything for me.. I guess it is the lack of motion and not being confident in my very own bodies reaction... I have pain, I have swelling.. am 12 weeks post op.. Am in Las Vegas NV, USA..  I drove in short spurts, picking carefully the time of day.. now am driving myself to PT, grocery store, etc.  I count every little victory.  I had no idea this surgery would put me down for the count for so long.  I am going to try a warm pool at the local YMCA.  Therapist said.. just walk in the water.. just walk, don't try any fancy tricks.. lol..  12 weeks ago .. it seems so long.. houssebound, dependent on rides and food.. omg.. trauma... I also have trouble sleeping.. I think it is the pain that awakens me... I wish each and every one of us good steady recovery.  I love these boards.  I feel connected.  I am sure my friends and family are tired of me whining!  Best to all..  Cindy
    • Posted

That's so funny! I feel the same way that friends and family r done w/ the whole taking care of me thing. I'm sure they think that after 6 was. I should be all healed and back to normal! 

Though I must say, my husband has been very patient w/ me. PROBABLY because he knows he needs knee surgery in the near future and needs me to care for him.LOL!

i went to the supermarket today w/ hubby and came home ready for bed!!

• Posted

by the way , has this surgery affected anyone else's appetite? I find that I'm not hungry most of the time. Didn't mind losing some weight, but my physio was upset w/ me for not eating enough. He says it's very important for recovery. That's the first time anyone has told me I had to eat since I was 3!!😀I try to eat 3 x /day but mostly feel like simple carbs. My whole sense of what I crave to eat has changed.

i wish everyone on this site the very best of luck w/their recovery!!!

thank you all for being here; it is so helpful to know ur not alone.

• Posted

It is so great to talk to someone who is in the same place as me. Going through the same experiences. I just wish friends and family understood a bit better and had a bit more patience. I wish everyone as quick a recovery as possible with no new "surprises"
    • Posted

Yes it really affected me at first and now it is kind of off and on. Some things just turn me off and others I can eat a little of and then I am done. I try to eat more often in the day. Kind of a little at a time. This crazy surgery sure throws us for a loop in more ways than one.
    • Posted

Social rejection is tough.......but you have to then reverse the situation a little and put yourself in their place. So often people would like to help but feel really uncomfortable trying to get involved. I've been asked to explain the tumor and my treatment in a small group. I've seen the look in people's eyes: they can't make eye contact, they become very nervous and squirm in their seats. One lady had to leave the room as the discussion got a little too graphic for her. The urge to help was evident as the usual remarks, I have a Dr I'd like for you to see, have you tried including more of this or that in your diet, there's a brace you should try and on and on. They have no idea the Dr's I've seen, the tests that have been run, the meds I've tried for pain and everything I've tried to get a nights sleep. I know they want to help but truth be known, their brains are so busy looking for solutions they don't even remember the complexity of the problem. In reality, what they really want is for me to quit so they can get the hell away from me and get back in their comfort zone. I like to look at the good in people and try to understand where they are in their lives but sometimes its very, very difficult. Maybe you have noticed, at the other persons request, you can be trying to explain and suddenly the conversation turns to them or someone close to them and completely away from you even if they have come to your home.

My wife's disease, parkinsons, is a great conversation maker. People who only know about it by reputation suddenly become card carrying experts making more off the wall suggestions based on some fragment of information. The most common is why dont they try deep brain stimulation because they heard the term on TV. Then you have to spend a half an hour explaining what and how it's defined and used.

We just have to learn how to cope with the problem of our condition and the problem of those around us.

• Posted

Oh new knee friends..you got a real smile out of me...yes, for me on the food, too..i crave it, cook it, smell it and then...dont want it..lol...crazy surgery for sure...had several serious surgeries...nothing beats this one... have felt a little alone and isolated even tho people around me..... what a gift, our little convrersations ...sigh..a place to share our victories...:-) cindy
    • Posted

It is somehow comforting knowing that someone else is going through the same things. Sometimes not in quite the same way or the same time but still comforting. Thanks to everyone for sharing their concerns,triumphs, trials and errors. Please keep sharing.

I am so very happy that I found this forum before my surgery. It has helped open my eyes before the surgery, not really knowing what I was in for. And after the surgery it has been like someone sitting with me holding my hand saying "I know what you are going through. This too shall pass." Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!

• Posted

Glad to hear I'm not alone concerning the food issue. I used to love a rotisserie chicken, spicy food, loads of veggies! Not any longer. I have forced myself to eat a salad for lunch like I was used to. Once I start , if I'm hungry enough, it seems ok. This whole thing is weird!! Ali in all, I'm trying to make healthy choices, even though all I feel like is soup or pretzels!!

i still don't understand why one should be affected in this way from this particular surgery!!??

• Posted

So many things happen all at once but I think just the level of pain and the length of time plus the schedule change your body goes through with the lack of sleep. 20 plus years ago I had to go through rotatorcuff surgery due to damage done in an auto accident. I was told this would be The most painful experience I would ever go through. 11 years later I went through the 1st tkr and found my surgeon original advice was wrong.........very wrong indeed. The tkr completely messed up my eating habits. Short periods of sleep, long periods of being up and alone made frequentruns on the fridge a 'll night long a necessity. The pain meds screwed up the digestive system with the on and off constipation plus the urinary track and bladder infections. Ice cream at 3 a.m. was so much better than a piece of chicken and broccoli at 6 p.m. dehydration also n plays a big role. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water all day long. I start the day with a 32 oz glass and continue with every meal and right up t o bedtime. Once body functions and sleep are regulated 89th e appitie gradually returns with the healthiest foods being last. Be carefulnabou 89th your consumption of too much salt as well. The eatingvisclikecthe bend.....you have to work on it but you cant force it to happen. Eat small portions morecofter. 5borv6bsmall are better than 2 or 3 big ones_every day anyway. Toss in a small glass of wine early evening if you feel n up to it.research has proved a few ozs of alcohol daily is benefical. I pretty much quit sometime ago but I figure that on average I can make it to about 146 years of age. I turn 79 next month. Guess I finally found some of my planning for old age was beneficial.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.