Driving again?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Have all of you TKR folks out there had to wait until you've reached 6 weeks post op before you've been allowed to drive again, even if you drive an automatic and its your left knee that's been operated on? 

0 likes, 24 replies

Report / Delete

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

anita...12 wks..post tkr....I PROBABLY COULD HAVE DRIVEN AT 6 WKS...BE SURE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR FLEXION AND MOBILITY...,I CHOSE TO BE CAUTIOUS ...I WAITED UNTIL 8 WKS POST OP...I HAD HELP AT HOME
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I didn't feel I would be 'able' to drive prior to at least six weeks anyway.  I was also aware that they 'advised' us not to, which meant (as I understand it), that if you had a 'bump' for whatever reason, the insurance company could wriggle out of any claim because you were 'advised' not to drive.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Pete and all! You're probably right about the insurance companies as they'd certainly use anything to wriggle out of any claims! I'm quite happy to wait but I will appreciate getting my independence back by driving my car!

Should I have told my insurer about my operation or would that just be asking for more trouble?!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No you're not obliged to.  One thing I would mention.  As my car stood doing nothing for over six weeks, When I did come to start it the battery was flat.  Fortunately, I live on quite a steep hill, and I was able to just set it off rolling, and 'bump' start it.  But had that not been the case, I would have been struggling.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I got my son to drive my car round the block a couple of times then I revved the engine myself a few time 

today I drove round the block for the first time since my op 

and the car started the first time. ......

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

that's so funny, petemorris!  i just had to fork out major ££ as i wanted to drive today for the first tme (9.4 weeks).  same thing.  flat battery.  i mean really flat as apparently i had not closed the boot door properly and the inside light drained the battery completely.  i could have kicked myself!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Once you get in the car and drive like I did yesterday the thought of pain disappears ....I didn't go far. But WOW it made me feel good    

"10 weeks today "

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I got my hubby to drive my car a few times just to make sure it was ok.  He offered to go to work in it a few times but I said no as they have a lot of speed bumps and they would damage my car- think he just wanted to use my petrol so he didn't have to fill his up!.  I see physio a week on Monday so I will ask him what he thinks and hopefully he will say I'm ok to drive. 😃🚘🚗🚙⛽️
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm not sure about that but I drove my automatic today....9 weeks after right TKR..I was given permission 2 weeks ago but only decided I was ready today 

Jean 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think around 6weeks is the general rule, at six weeks I spoke to my GP and he was fine with it . I just drove about a mile at first and after a few days I was back to normal driving. I have a manual, and it was my right knee which had the op. go for it gal if you feel posotive you will be fine . Wish you well in your recovery tucks
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Glad to hear this discussion because I am desperate to get back behind the wheel, but it would seem that six weeks is the generally accepted time, two more to go "ish" and then I can go get and get my own wine and crisps smile

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up