Driving again 5 weeks post A&P

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, is it ok to drive ,I am now 5 weeks post op after A&P with stitches ? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I did after 10 days. Have a go and see how you feel. If you're uncomfortable at all and are not safe to be on the road then stop.
  • Posted

I was wondering how soon people starting going out and about?

I am 37 and had vaginal hysterectomy and post and ant repair on 5th Feb so now 10 days post op. So far so good, and other than been very tired I am doing well considering, some slight pain/discomfort which I'm managing with paracetamol and naproxen.

I know I can't do much yet (lifting ect) but I am hoping to start moving about a bit more this week, do you think going round asda/hobby craft would be OK, husband driving and carrying bags ect?

i don't want to over do it but feel like need to start doing something.

thanks xx

• Posted

I had an anterior repair on the 8th December so 100 weeks now. I went out for a walk up and down my street four days after surgery and have gradually increased it since then.
  • Posted

I was around five weeks. I got in the car and with engine off tried an emergency stop. All was okay so spoke to my insurance company as going against medical advice as says six weeks but they said okay to drive.
    • Posted

I did ring my insurance company they didn't have a set time they said its up to me when I'm ready 😊
  • Posted

In the UK we say from 6 weeks because until then it would be difficult to perform an emergency stop because of your surgery. A lot of insurance companies insist you wait until at least 6 weeks but it's best to ask. There is a test you can do to see if you can perform an emergency stop safely and I've mentioned this quite a few times on this forum. If you can stamp one foot hard on a hard surface and it doesn't cause pain then you should be ok. Just a word of warning to ladies in the UK because I know most if you are, I do know of a patient who drove against my advice at 5 weeks. She drove her children to school. A driver in front of her braked hard, she couldn't and went into the back of the car and unfortunately for her some mothers at the school knew she'd had an operation. Her insurance was invalid and she had a hefty bill to pay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.