Driving at 6 weeks afterTkr

Posted , 10 users are following.

I dust wondered how many are able to drive a manual car after only 6 weeks post Tkr. I'm desperate to but not sure how able I am .

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you don't need that leg for the clutch, then as soon as you're off the opioids.

If you need the leg for the clutch then it's problematic until:

a. You have enough ROM to move your leg up and down correctly and effortlessly.  Not enough bend and you'll never raise your knee high enough to engage the clutch.  PT gets your ROM back.

b. You have enough strength in your leg to press the clutch quickly and with force.  This comes from doing the gym work necessary to get your strength back.  Not enough strength and you will not engage the clutch fast enough.

Lack of EITHER ONE of these abilities puts you at risk...assuming, of course, that you're definitely off the opioids.  If you expected an absolute number of weeks, I'm sorry to disappoint you.  This all depends on your ROM and strength.  The harder you work, the sooner you can drive again.

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

I started driving for short distance manual car after 4 weeks of my bilateral TKR

And on my sheduled 6 weeks post operative visit to surgeon I drove of my own to the hospital which is about 45 kilometers from my home.

I never fealt pain while walking or climbing but my problem was i feel pain when i streach my leg in the bed, which not allow me to sleep.

And this problem continued for about 4 months. Now after one year PO I can not stand for long Even standing after few min my knees get stiffer, but walking, cycling, climbing stairs, driving everything is painless. So I feel Blessed. 

• Posted

Hi Eileen ,

I could drive a stick at 6 wks but waited til 8. My choice .

First off 6 wks for right knee is suggested time frame , 4 wks for left. ... but I am going to say this every one is different and progress differently. If YOU feel you can drive at 6 wks then try going short distances. You don't want to over do the walking as well as driving. Most doctors don't say for sure because some of us are still on meds. Like my self , I've been on Norco for over 10 yrs. Legally I'm not suppose to drive. I don't go far when I do and I'm not out for long periods just yet. I'm sure your surgeon would say the same thing. Best of luck to you .

• Posted

I was driving manual car after 4 weeks, but everyone is different.  Still only doing short journeys about 10 miles or so.
  • Posted

Hi Eileen , Im 4 weeks post op on a TKR and ive started driving a manual car already. What i would say is that everyone is different and everyone recovers at different speeds.

Sit in the car and press the pedals and see how it feels and try do an emergency stop and see what its like.

Only you knows how you feel , good luck as i know how frustrating it is being inside four walls

• Posted

Hello Eileen, I was told that the physio has to give the go ahead before we can drive again  as it has something to do with insurance.  This applies to us in England, I have no idea how it works elsewhere.  
  • Posted

Hi Eileen I am 6 1/2 weeks post TKR and woudn't even think about driving yet. I won't be driving until I can safely do an emergency stop and I certainly don't think it will be any time soon.

• Posted

Hi Eileen

If you can bend your knee enough to drive & can do an emergency stop properly, why not, but I would advise you to speak to your insurance co to get their advice too. I think at 6 weeks you are just on the edge of being ok insurance wise. It always used to be 6 weeks after major surgery.

Good luck

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi

I drove after 3 weeks, right knee TKR in the UK.

Not so easy getting in the car to start with, but confident I was fine.

The key is if you are confident.

Good healing

• Posted

Yes sure Clive but my knee is still quite still, I'm working on it but seems to slide back over night

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.