Driving with a broken plated Fibula , Gas & Brake foot

Posted , 5 users are following.

5 months after my bone graft surgery, with plate and 6 screws, 9 months post accident, when do you guys drive? Its my main foot. Right one here, used in UK and NZ driving. If I was in USA I wouldn't have a problem.

Foot still weak and swollen, but I'm weight baring. Bone all around area very porous on xray. Gee I wouldn't get in a car with someone driving with a weak foot like me. Couldn't break in time. BTW, we have an auto.

Any suggestions and stories to share please?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had surgery at end of last Sept and didn't drive for almost 3 months.

I broke my right ankle (gas pedal) and drive a stick shift here in Uk.

I would take expert advice from your GPs or pt as to your ability to drive.

If you drove and had an accident due to your ankle being weak, there would  be many implications ahead.

I went back to work after just over 3 months due to financial issues and work for a national car hire company so am on my feet and driving between 10-12 hours a day.

I don't have an issue driving now some 8 months since injury, but realise how frustrating it is to loose your independance & freedom having to rely on other people.

I wish you a speedy recovery, and take care on this long journey 

• Posted

Hi.

I was driving 6 MONTHS POST OP. I had a very, very bad injured ankle. Anyway it's not worth running the risk of injuring someone else and losing your licence. Hope you recover quickly. ??

• Posted

Hmmm. I might get there in a couple of months. Couldn't really care less. Got so used to it. I'm sure when I'm ready it'll be an adventure.

??

• Posted

Yeah, I'm 3 months post accident/surgery on my 'brake' foot and no way would I get behind the wheel yet. Luckily, my city has great public transport.

• Posted

Glad people do driving when they're ready. Accidents not needed!

We've had enough of that.

I think I'll concentrate on being vertical more. Get my osteoporosis post surgery bone, stronger. I don't have osteoporosis anywhere else , just the fracture site.

Thanks for input.

??????????????

• Posted

I broke my left  so not a problem for me in the US.  I guess I wouldn't risk it if you are tenuous about using it or if it hurts when you put pressure on it.

• Posted

Well Carol, I learnt something today !?

The position of pedals in cars is universal. Never really thought about it. We sit RHS of car to drive. USA, LHS. Okay then. Silly me.

I'm not comfortable yet, flexible enough, but not strong enough.

Thanks for reply.????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.