Dry legs and pool exercise

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello 63 year old female. Had hip done 10 months ago, first left knee tkr 8 months left knee tkr 4 months doing fine but still not all the strength back. Problem foot then diagnosed with Parkinsons, oh well, just keep trying.

I do the exercise bike 30 min a day and other exercise for 30 min strength training, can only walk about 15 to 20 min because of foot. Has swimming helped anyone? Also my,legs appear to have severe dry skin with it peeling but it is super soft and I lotion every day. Has anyone developed a skin issue?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi cc.  I've had 2 TKRs and have done lots of hydrotherapy and it really kept me going for the time after my 1st and 2nd TKRs.  Strengthwise it has been fabulous for me.  When I go every single day, yes it makes my skin very dry.  However, the benefits is gives me, far outweighs skin issues.  Hydrotherapy has been fantastic for me.  Best thing to do is to find a physiotherapist who will tailor make your program for you.

• Posted

Good morning, CC

I had TKR on both knees this past April (I will write more about that in another post). I am fortunate to have a health club and pool right in my building and they have aquasize classes twice a week. As soon as my surgeon gave me the go ahead, I put on my new swimming clothes (not ready for a bathing suit) and ventured forth. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! My PT prepared me for how difficult it might be at first and you truly feel the results when you get out of the water. My balance has improved, it's a social activity, it's got me moving and I will continue to use the pool as often as I can. Go slow, stretch in the water and don't overdo it. I also experienced dry skin after the surgery but had to avoid putting any lotion on my legs till the incisions truly healed. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi!

I'm also a 63 yr old female

I'm 7 months after a Tkr

I do my pool exercises almost everyday

It has helped my rom, balance and my frame of mind

Because I'm out in the sunshine!

I have used organic coconut oil

And it helps a lot with my skin !

I have increased my walking up to 1.5 miles if I go anymore than that, my leg swells so I'm sticking to 1.5 miles for now.

Good luck to you ! Have a wonderful day!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.