Dry sensation in nose

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - i have been getting an almost constant dry, sometimes burning sensation in my nose for about 3 weeks now. I did have a bit of a cold in the middle of this but it seemed to start for no reason. I a female, 30 years old. Otherwise generally pretty well. Had 2nd baby in Sept and had been suffering a little with anxiety post this so had wondered if it was some bizarre physical reaction to this.

Saw my gp last week and he wasn't too helpful, couldn't see anything wrong or didn't give me anything. I am going to go bk later in week as it's driving me mad and there must be something not right. Anyone else had similar?

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Burning sensations, usually occurs in conjunction with other nasal symptoms like a runny nose, sneezing and nasal congestion. Have you ever be diagnosed with allergy to some kind of allergens like pollens, spores, dust etc? Your nasal passages would react to allergens – either by sneezing, a runny nose and/or burning inside the nose. Nasal allergies can be treated with a combination of allergen avoidance and anti allergy medications like anti histamines and nasal steroid sprays.

Having said that, Dry nose could be a common effect of certain medications, such as some antihistamines and decongestants (which you had might taken for your cold). Hot, dry climates, low humidity, and air conditioning can all lead to dryness in the nose. Increase your fluid intake to hydrate your body so that it can produce mucous.

Drink at least six 8 ounce glasses a day of water, juice or tea. Use a nasal saline spray as needed to moisturise the nasal passages. They are available over the counter. But beware, as nasal sprays that are used to relieve a nasal congestion can cause a dried out nose or rebound effect when they are overused.I would advise a visit to ENT to find out actual cause behind these problems.

• Posted

i live in a very dry atmosphere in my flat,was very interested to read your comments on this subject as i suffer daily with wicked sinus headaches which start on waking, i have a very stuffy dry nose, and i use irrigation to help ease it, but i wish i could get  a nasal moisturiser, as usual nasal meds from the GP cause dryness in my nose. and saline solution causes dryness too. the atmosphere in my home is very dry, so in winter the use of central heating makes things worse...i also have to have a fan in my room because i get too hot in bed...so i think i need a humidifier...but dont know which is a suitable one.
  • Posted

I am suffering every day with Dry nose..when i wake in the morning i had a terrible headache, throbbing and i feel sick...my nose is tight and dry inside and congested, and i feel like i have a temperature...sometimes there will be a popping in my sinuses and it will slowly clear and moisturise, but most of the time not. i dont want to get nasal meds from my GP because they dry my nose too...out of desperation i have been using a nasal irrigation bottle and its very good once you get the hang of it, but i wish i could find a nasal moisturiser as i think my problem is exascerbated by central heating or the use of a fan to keep the room cool....also i find some saline wash drops make my nose dry because of the salt content.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I have been diagnosed with non allergic rhinitis 15 years ago. I have always had problems with stuffy nose but never until recently have I had this burning feeling. I am also getting what I think sinus headaches and feeling feverish on and off.

Just wondered how you are getting on with this and if you have got better.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.