Due for TAH with BSO

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I am having a total abdominal hysterectomy 3rd April and have been told my ovaries are bring removed too. I asked why and she said the usual stuff, they may fail and then will need another op in yrs to come, the risk of ovarian cancer and also I do get pain every month from my ovaries when they release an egg. I am peri menopausal, 49 and shd said I would have HRT for couple of yrs. I was ok with it until now ( got pre op on Saturday) but I have been reading a lot about whether to keep them or let them go. Is anyone on here had ovaries removed and doing fine? Any advise would help

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nanny to 5

I had a TAH in early December and had both my ovaries removed. I am also 49 and was advised to have HRT until I am 52. The only symptoms i have encountered have been hot sweats at night which woke me several times a night. After seven weeks I began HRT using Evorel patches and increased from a 50 which reduced my symptons to 75 and this seems to have almost stopped them. The HRT strength has just been down to trial and error. Hope that this helps 

• Posted

Hi Jojo

Thank you for your reply, I be also been told I'll have HRT until 52. I just feel like I m losing everything that makes me Me!

Sounds like there's all sorts of different hrt tabs, patches and

injections, how on earth do they know which ones best for

yourself?

• Posted

Hi!  I had a TAH and BSO last November and I can honestly say it's the best thing that ever happened to me.  I chose to have both ovaries removed, as my grandmother died of Ovarian Cancer and I didn't want to be worrying about the possiblity of that.  I'm 47 and am on Oestrogel, which I think is fab.   Before I started with the ERT, i had awful hot flushes and night sweats and dreadful anxiety, like I've never experienced before.   4 months on (3 months on ERT), I feel great, everyone says I look younger, my skin is glowing and over the last 7 weeks I've lost a stone in weight, just from watching what I eat and doing a bit of walking!  I still get a bit tired if I do too much, but that's part and parcel of the recovery from the surgery. Before my TAH, I was a 'slave' to hormone swings and it made my life a misery.  I had a massive fibroid, which made me look pregnant, and was the size of a football.  I was really worried about taking ERT as I didn't have a lot of joy with the contraceptive pill, it made me feel awful - depressed, moody and anxious.  For me Oestrogel has been brilliant, it took a few weeks to get the dosage right, but once it 'kicked in', it's been great.  For me, having my ovaries removed was the right decision.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Its so great to hear that it isn't all weight gain and anxiety. Thank you for asking this question and the replies as I'm 39 and about to go thru same and couldn't find any positive hrt stories and im worried. I'm keeping fingers crossed smile xx
  • Posted

Hi.  I am 49. Getting my op on 1st April with ovaries removed.  It is seemingly policy in the hospital that if you are over 47 they take everything away as May cause further problems leaving them in.  I'm more nervous about hrt as have no symptoms of reaching menapause up to now. Keep in touch xx
    • Posted

Ho

I poppy, your op is just 2 days before mine, I lll be thinking of

you. I m dreading the whole thing but this HRT is definitely

worrying me that's why I asked about having ovaries removed. Good luck with your op, keep in touch also x

• Posted

I'm 6 weeks post op hrt ovaries removed too.operation was fine best thing I've done after terrible bleeding caused by large fibroid.I'm having awful hot flushes now.not on hrt. I'm nearly 51 so thought would try herbal way.just started taking red clover and sage.hoping this might help.will let you all know. Karen. X
  • Posted

Hi,

I am having an abdominal hysterectomy on Aptil 7th and my consultant told me that I could tell him on the day if I wanted him to remove my ovaries or not.I saw y doctor for advice last week and she advised me to have them removed.I haven't had children and she explained that your ovaries work harder over the years if you never have children and really now they will be surplus to requirement and there would be a higher risk of getting ovarian cancer.I have also been told that if any problems in later life they would be harder to remove.When they do the op sometimes they put a HRT implant inside you.I have been on injections for fibroids which put you into menaupause temporarily.If I feel like this afterwards it will be great.

Take care

xxx

• Posted

Hi Teresa

Thanks for info, I have been told that the ovaries may fail, my

friend had hysterectomy some years as ago and while she was on the ward 4 other women were on their with her who had

gone back for more surgery as their ovaries had all failed! (Her gyno kept hers in as she was only mid 30's) she tells me now

she wished they had been taken out as she constantly worriesabout it.

Looks like I just need to accept it and let them go. Good luck

with yours, keep in touch x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.