Duration of pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have confirmed multiple gallstones with the gallbladder calcified and ineffective. I have regular significant bouts of pain with nausea and vomiting which last up to 24hrs. I have pain at the moment which has now lasted 3 days. The pain is not as severe as usual but is still warranty an array of pain relief and anti sickness medication. At what point should I say enoughs enough and call for help. I'm at my wits end tbh. I have had an ulta sound and ct and am due for an mri next week. I'm not due to see the consultant until May 10th!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you're dealing with this.  If pain continues and becomes unbearable, go to A&E or to the ER (in the US). Gallbladders can rupture.

Please try to eat as low fat as possible, and small frequent meals.  Avoid caffine, and acidic foods, too, even orange juice. Make sure you're getting enough water...you may already be doing the above, but I felt I should add it.  

Please let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, I was gearing myself to go to ED this morning if still bad, difficult decision for me as that is my line of work! The pain is so much better today so had another liver function blood test at the doctors and await MRI scan on Thursday. Rest assured I will go to ED if I have a prolonged episode like that again. I'm on tenter hooks always waiting for the next bout. Had enough of it now!!!!

• Posted

You're very welcome!  I understand your reluctance to go; and I'm glad the pain is better.  

Please let us know how you get on!

• Posted

Hi, as Lynda said when you can't cope or is unbearable then head to a&e. Stones can move and get stuck which you don't want and at least  going to a&e they can move you further up the waiting list is it becomes more urgent. 

Please don't suffer, go to a&e, they at least can do another ultrasound and give you some stronger pain relief.

Let me know what happens. take care.x

• Posted

I'm a bugger when it comes to A&E because I work for the ambulance service it is a big decision for me as they are my colleagues! Luckily it has improved today so just had another liver function test at the GP's and await MRI on Thursday. Thank you for your reply it's nice not to feel isolated because of it 😊

• Posted

Yes it is a big decision when you've worked in that environment, I did myself a few years ago so it has to be major for me to even think about going.

I'm glad its improved, let me know how you get on after your MRI. I doubt they'll tell you anything, they didn't when I had one I had to wait for the results to go back to my consultant.

If you're feeling down because of the pain then just talk on here and we'll reply. We know what its like and we all have different and similar experiences so there's no need to feel alone.

Take care xx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up