DVT SUPPRESSION SOCKS

Posted , 20 users are following.

I am just over two weeks post op thr and have fortunately good mobility and really want to stop wearing suppression socks. I'm still taking blood thinning medication and regularly doing physio exercises. Do you think it would be ok to discard them now? They are so uncomfortable and hot and I feel much better without them.

Thank you

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I waited until I finished the the clexane (blood thinners) before I got rid of the sock. Like you I was mobile early on, now 5 weeks out and feeling some kind of normal again! I was like you though, determined to get rid of it. I was told by a nurse it’s better to be safe than sorry though. Wasn’t waiting the 6 weeks the hospital wanted me to though. 
  • Posted

its up to you of course,maybe you could ring the hospital,or a physio,and ask? i think everybody hates the darn things and some people even say some hospitals have stopped using them.i asked  how long i had to wear them for,as i was heartily sick of them-i was also pretty mobile and having the daily blood thinning jabs,but was still told 6 weeks-i made it,all but one day.i was also very happy to finish the injections-happily,the next to last one came apart accidently,so i missed one day of them,too! best wishes to you xx
  • Posted

Hi, I had good mobility, but with swelling above the sock. After the first week I was told by the hospital to just wear them at night. I stopped wearing them completely at the end of week 4. 

Good luck, take care.

• Posted

I was very fit before my operation and so I stopped wearing mine after a week. I felt I was moving around enough. Others may disagree, but it’s 2.5 years later and I’m still here 🤗

• Posted

Hi Marylin

I'm 7 months post posterior THR. Our NHS Trust here in UK had dispensed with the compression stockings in favour of a 30 day course of heparin-type blood thinner - self-injected subcutaneously once per day.

I think their philosophy was based on reviewing outcomes in previuos years that suggested there was no real benefit from wearing the stockings provided you stuck to the prescribed exercise regime and used the blood thinning injections.

If you are doing both stockings and injections that may well be a bit of "belt and braces" on behalf of your clinicians.

Call you surgeon or physio and ask if it's OK to dispense with the stockings if they make you too uncomfortable

• Posted

Hi Marilyn

I was never given suppression socks when I left hospital after 2 days.

Had usual swelling but regular elevation is the best thing so I would not worry about discarding then now but that's only my personal view.

Good luck

• Posted

Me too. I was never given them. I just walked alot and elevated, iced and did foot pumps whenever I thought of it.

I was only on 81mg Aspirin for blood thinning.

• Posted

Hi..I was very mobile after lthr..I wore my socks during the day, off at night...at my first post op apt they said I could stop wearing them..which was about 4 weeks...

Isn't it strange how protocols are different...

Connie

• Posted

Hi Marilyn,

We were not given these stockings in the hospital only 28 days of fragmin injections. Last week at 8 weeks post op I called an ambulance, was kept in hospital overnight and diagnosed with clots in the lungs.

As I was very healthy pre op, was walking everyday post op and pumping my feet whilst sitting down or lying in bed I personally think wearing the stockings is probably a good idea for a bit longer. I now wished we were given them.

• Posted

Hi Jen

Was just curious..what were your symptoms with the blood clots...it's always good to know these things..I'm presently 8 weeks post op

• Posted

Hi Connie,

The hospital only concentrate on the legs, pain, swelling, heat in the calf I had none of that.

Out on my daily walk I felt a bit breathless and thought I was coming down with a cold as a lot of people were coughing. A few days later I was woken with a really bad pain in my side under the breast. Since being diagnosed I have read up on clots and found you can have them anywhere.

I thought back and remembered I had an incredible pain in the stomach which I now believe was either blood or some other debris that came off the hip went to the stomach then lung.

I have rang the hospital and explained everything to them the sister said they have never heard of stomach pain but as I said they only talk about the legs therefore people will not report pain anywhere else.

• Posted

Wow..I'm so glad you took charge of your life..I hope you are fully recovered and back to normal life..thank you so much for sharing your story...any surgery is scary..

• Posted

Sadly Connie, I am on apixaban for 3 months, part of the lung has collapsed but the doctor said that will recover. I hate being breathless as before THR I exercised most days and I miss it. You can never be too careful, I thought I would be last person to get blood clots.
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel..I can't believe I even needed a hip replacement..I always exercised.

I avidly ride horses..( my own as well as others.) I did yoga..this is all so humbling..but on the other hand I'm glad that awful bone on bone pain is gone..I'm not big on pharmaceutical meds..but I'm doing what my Dr. Says..I take celebrex..I took pain meds in hospital and that's about it..be happy you were smart enough to get yourself in hospital..it could've been fatal..seems you really no your body well..all those years taking care of yourself is helping you now..1 day this will be all behind you..you will get back to yourself. I just no it.

Connie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.