Eating after gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed 24/08/15 and just wondering when people usually allow themselves a treat? I haven't suffered much with gallbladder attacks, had 2 bad ones since pregnancy, and avoided a lot of foods to reduce the risk of attacks. Need had a problem eating things like cheese/crisps/wine etc but avoided spicy and greasy foods. Now I am so excited to have a Chinese takeaway, but not sure when I should try it. Since surgery I've eaten a few different things: butter, bread, chicken, veg, cheese, cream, bacon etc with no upset (other than needing the toilet a bit sooner once or twice) so just wondered if anyone had any previous experience of when they had their first treat!

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You need to be very careful not to overload the gut with excessive spicy foods heavy fatty foods initially ... still early days for you.. Light meals fish and milky sauces eggs.. toast is okay. mash and minced beef.. bring it up slowly introduce the foods you like which are spicy but small amounts.. Should be okayi f you have kept these foods down you have stated above.. Good Luck.. I am not a patient but have nursed patients with this condition..
    • Posted

Thanks Diana, I have managed a few treats, some Doritos, teacakes with butter etc.. Which all have been ok for me. I am craving chicken chow Mein and rice! I think it's because i haven't had it in over 2 years due to ring pregnant and couldn't eat it, and then gallbladder problems straight after pregnancy... Now it's all I think of ha! Thanks for your reply
  • Posted

Well I think you will be fine take it small amounts.. best of luck 
  • Posted

I say take it easy avoid em yet your system is not working like it should. Mine took about three months to normalized a bit. I did eat anything in two weeks after but I could tell my body was not digesting food as it would. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.