Eating/Drinking before MRCP

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

I started having upper right abdo/shoulder pain a while back and GP said it sounded like it could be gallbladder. I also have IBS. He sent me for an ultrasound which showed a slightly fatty liver and not much else but as nothing was obvious he wondered if an MRI would be a good idea. He couldn't order it himself so I was referred to a consultant.

A few months back the consultant rang and said that my gallbladder seemed to have signs of calcification but he wanted an MRCP with contrast to check properly. I got a call last week inviting me for my scan this week (Friday). She went through the usual on the phone with me (metal implants, pregnancy etc), then said I wasn't to eat for 6 hours beforehand but to drink LOTS of water just before the scan.

Everything I have read says no food or any liquid including water for 4-6 hours beforehand at all. I can't find any mention of having to have lots of water. Anyone else been told the same? Is it due to the contrast IV?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Never mind, just did a better google and can see it's often suggested with contrast dye. 😃

• Posted

did you ever get any results? or resolution?

i had an ultra sound and CT scan.

both revealed gallstones and kidney stones

i dont fit any of the criteria for gallstones so im not sure how i ended up with them. i am now being referred for possible gallbladder removal due to increasing attacks.

• Posted

Hi, so sorry for the delay! Consultant rang not too long after the MRCP and says I have calcifications and thickening of the gallbladder. He says he wants a CT scan to check in more detail and also to look at my small intestine. No mention of gallstones and I don't really get the typical attacks others mention. Anyone can get gallstones from what I know although some groups are at higher risk than others. Having my CT on the 24th.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.