ect

Posted , 6 users are following.

maybe getting this treatment.does anyone have experience in this procedure.if so what was it like

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You will be under general anaesthetic, so you won't be awake during treatment.

You'll experience headache, stiff limbs, fuzzy thoughts, tight feeling jaw and maybe memory loss - this won't last long though.

Painkillers will be given.

• Posted

Melissa, I wouldn't recommend it. I didn't choose that from my options, and I wouldn't advise anyone to either.

We do not know how the brain will cope with such an intense treatment, nd although there have been studies, every brain is different and will react differently. 

What other options have been given to you by your doctor?

• Posted

My mother had this once, and did not help. Her moods became violent, she became childish and she always had memory loss. Why have you agreed to this? Exercise such as walking, writing stories, or watching comedies often helps far more than these callous treatments do that interefere with you, and your rights. Doctors know so little about the mind and yet they do much to destroy our minds
  • Posted

I ws offered this when I was an in patient in a psychiatric hospital, but I refused it as too scared.  I did see other patients who had it and some made remarkable recoveries.  They did lose some of their memory though. 

It is really up to you whether you feel there is no alternative to curing your depression, and it is so bad you will try anything. 

• Posted

your right,mine is that bad.the effexor withdraw really messed me up.
    • Posted

When I withdrew from Effexor I did it really slowly.  I tapered over 10 months and had no withdrawals at all.  I know what they can be like as I did stop it cold turkey once.

It is 17 months since I stopped the Venlafaxine and I am doing well.  I am so sorry you had such a bad experience withdrawing.  Very slowly is the only way to do it.  I am so sorry that you feel ECT is the only alternative for you now.  I hope if you do decide to take it that it does relieve you depression.  Anything worth trying if it helps.  I know how bad a deep depression can be.  I had depression for over 20 years and am amazed I am where I am today.  Never thought I would survive it. 

Take care and keep in touch

• Posted

Hi Anne

I have been 13 years and the drugs work for so long then stop.  Are you on any medication  now

Regards.

Pat

• Posted

Hello Pat.  Since I stopped the Venlafaxine I have not been on any anti depressants.  I take supplements which I think really help.  Maybe it is the placebo effect, but hey for the first time in over 20 years I am drug free!! 

How about you? 

• Posted

Hi Anne

I am on 15 mg Mirtazapine and 150 mg Venlafaxine.  I have been trying to think positively instead of going on higher doses.  I have been quite down for nearly 2 weeks but I have had a very good day today so I am hoping this is the start of getting back to normal.

• Posted

I had 12 courses of ECT while an in-patient in a psychiatric unit from late January to early March 2014.

I felt so desperate and depressed that I was prepared to try anything and i used to look-forward to being put-under for half-an-hour or so every Tuesday and Thursday for six weeks.

I did not feel any ill-efects after any of the treatments.

It seemed to work inititally - I felt much better for a month, but my depression has been situational (many difficult events occurring about the same time) and it returned after about a month and has hardly lifted since.

I am obviously no expert, but I'd say it's worth a go if your depression is chemical, but not if it is situational.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.