ECT for a patient

Posted , 3 users are following.

My sister was suffering from mentally dipression for 4 years. Regulary, she has to get hospitalized onece a year. So, I am really sad about this condition. Now she is geetting ECT from the hospital. What is the side effect of having ECT and can completety recover from the mental dipression?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

When you say your sister has had to go to hospital once a year due to her condition why is it just now that they have started ECT and for what reasons? What was happening on her previous visits? It is possible to recover from mental depression but it depends how bad it is and what the original cause was.
    • Posted

Thank you very much and hospital' doctor was recommended her to ECT treatment when she was hospitalized. If she admitted to hospital, doctors are trying to recover her giving medicine. But finally they have to give ETC always to her. It is happened regularly in last 4 years. So what I know that why she is suffering mentally depression once a year and cant we control this? Is it fine to giving ETC treatment always?
  • Posted

I was offered ECT when I was in a psychiatric hospital but I refused it.  I saw other people benefit greatly from it.  Memory loss was one of the things they reported.

I don't think ECT will cure depression but it helps people who do not respond to medication come out of depression quicker.  Unfortunately once we have depression, it is likely to recur again.

Hopefully your sister will find ECT helps relieve depression, if she is unable to cope at all.

• Posted

Thanks Anne, you are correct and she is not response to medication. That's why doctors though to give ETC. How ever she is having a short memory loss. I am really sad about it. But nothing to do. Now she is at a psychiatric hospital. Now she got two times of ETC treatment. Really I am sad because she has to admit at psychiatric hospital ones a year. Why is it suffering regularly?
    • Posted

Depression is a difficult illness to deal with.  It is unfortunate that your sister has to go into hospital regularly.  I expect you has to go into hospital every year so they can help ease her depression.  If the medication she takes when she is not in hospital is not helping, then I suppose the doctors feel a session of ECT will help her and she can go out into the world again feeling better.

Seems her depression recurs regularly, and that is not uncommon. 

She is being looked after in hospital, but it is very difficult for you I know. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.