ectopic beats

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys. 

Just wondering if anyone else has ectopic beats and ever feels like a big thud all the time in chest then go lightheaded?? It's really effecting my anxirty.. can't help but think am going to die!!! sad

Thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma, 

I have never heard about this. Did you see a doc about it? 

Agirl x

• Posted

Hey hun.

My doctor diagnosed me with ectopics a couple of months ago. I also have anxiety attacks.

I know exactly what you mean by the big thud then it just carries on as normal.  I do get a bit of lightheaded Ness sometimes but my symptoms always worsen when I focus on it. 

Has your doctor told you that you have ectopics?

Marsha x

• Posted

Emma, 

Ha ha the good old Ectopic Beat or PVC's (Premature Contraction) `They are harmless my dear - you will live too tell another story,  although very scary and troublesome - they are benign in nature and are very common, 'we all have a few a day at least a minimum of 1 or 2 as our hearts go on pumping life through our veins at an average of 100,000 times in one day, that's about 35 million times in a year. During an average lifetime, the human heart will beat more than 2.5 billion times. Give a tennis ball a good, hard squeeze. You're using about the same amount of force your heart uses to pump blood out to the body. It's amazing to think - how amazing our hearts are their is no pump that a man/woman could ever build that would compare in nature to the heart.

The point of the above is too show you that your heart is a force of nature and am sure your Gp's have told you - but it does not mean that out of the 100,000 beats per day it might not throw a wobble or like a car backfire every so often - I mean, say you get 20 thuds as you explain, which sounds like Ectopic Beats (Basically an Extra Beat) That's 1 in every 5000 beats.  

I have seen patients that throw off an ectopic evey minute and can actually catch them on a brief 12lead ECG tracing and they are fit as fiddle - its a very common complaint by many - but not to worry about (easy said than done) but try and take your mind off of them - as it causes you to become far too self aware of your body and are then focusing wating for anything strange to happen - which will cause more worry.

If at wits end see you GP and ask for a Beta-Blocker (Propranolol) which will slow down the excited cells and give you some relief. 

Here is a link for this side - explaining a greater detail ..... 

All the Best,  Good Luck smile   

• Posted

I need to print this out and keep it with me. Have never been able to cope. With Ectopic beats and you have really given me reassurance that these are ok to have. Thankyou.
    • Posted

So glad it helped, live life to the full and take care. 

All the best,  smile 

• Posted

I often have this ectopic beats and It is really scary until I know that it is a normal phenomenon 
  • Posted

Hi all. 

Its soo good that other people recognise these and can advise on this smile

Emma,

Do not worry about these they are very common, a lot of people have them and are completely unaware. The reason it is magnified for you is because you have anxiety. 

Im always here for a chat chick. Dont suffer in silence xxx

• Posted

Hi Emma,

When I went to A & E a few months ago due to chest pain from anxiety, I had an ECG and was told I had ectopic beats and that they are very common and nothnig to worry about.

Hope this helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.