Ectopic beats in tummy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been trying to find a way to describe the awful feeling I get in my tummy when my reflux is bad. Having suffered with ectopic heart beats for a number of years, I've realised the feeling is very similar- in fact I can't tell the difference a lot of the time. My stomach or heart literally lurch or jump which makes me cough. Some are worse than others and I can go days without any or they can be constant. Often after food is the worst. During this recent flare up of reflux, I was going all day and night with them and it was terrifying. Does anyone else get this and know what causes it? I do have a small hiatus hernia but surely this can't be the only issue here? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Raffa

I think I know what you're talking about. It's like a heartbeat inside the stomach, the stomach actually vibrate like a beat inside even if I hold my breath. I try to figure out if it's actually coming from my heart or stomach. Because I do get heart palpitations , don't know if heart palpis are from perimenopause or the acid reflux/gastritis stomach.

I've had a severe flare of acid reflux for about a week now and it's seem to be worse during this time. My acid reflux has never bother me before only the stomach. I also have hiatal hernia. In my case it could be actually coming from the stomach because of the inflammation of the stomach I'm guessing. When my stomach is better the beats usually disappear or decreases.

• Posted

Hi Mary it sounds like we have very similar symptoms- not nice at all 😔. I do think mine are worse because of hormones but I get so frustrated as one day I'm fine and the next can be awful. I've read elsewhere that the feeling of ectopics could be down to irritation of the vagus nerve which I need to research some more. I just wish they could do more to help us. 

• Posted

I think mine is more hormonal also. Because I noticed that the symptons are worse after my cycle leaves, which is now.

During the week before and week of I get no symptons at all.

• Posted

Hello,

I've had similar issues for over twenty years. I'm 62 and lately because of stressful situations, I've had a harder time with them. I have come to believe, since I had all the heart tests etc that the ectopics have a lot to do with reflux and the vagus nerve. Your symptoms are very much like mine. Feel free to write if you want to - thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.