Ectopic Pregnancy?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am looking for clarification on what exactly an ectopic pregnancy is and the survival rate for mother and baby?

I think most people think of an ectopic pregnancy as when the embryo gets stuck in the fallopian tubes. However I have been doing some reading and ectopic pregnancy is define as "A pregnancy in which the fertilized egg implants outside the uterus." In my personal situation my son developed in a placenta sac that was attached to the outside wall of my uterus, not inside. My doctor has never seen this before but never called it an ectopic pregnancy. My son was carried to full term and born with a weak immune system and bronchomalacia but otherwise in good health, he is almost 2 now and is strong, healthy, and right on track.

Now I am in a medical program myself and getting into the OBGYN section of learning, which made me think of my own pregnancy and want more clarity of the situation.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.