Effects of too little sleep

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm 85 and I've never ever had enough sleep. Too many late nights all my life for differing reasons and for

years because of prostate problems making me go to the toilet several times

during the night. Laser surgery partially cured that. in 2012 heart surgery

made it difficult to sleep for a few months because of having to lie on my back.

I now probably but who can diagnose it have Fluoroquinolone toxicity syndrome due to treatments from those drugs for prostate infections and it is the cause of neuropathy that makes

walking difficult and can have many other effects including sleep problems Most

nights I get off to sleep OK but I leave it late to go to bed usually between

12.30 and 1am. Every night I waken after two hours and can't get back to sleep

again so I get up for about 40 minutes. They say that one should not use a

computer then but I do to read Emails and news articles. It takes a bit to get

back to sleep and about 90 minutes later I'm awake again . This happens once

more and then I'm awake for good.

I have tried melatonin that did not help. Many years ago in the 1970s and early 80's I took sleeping pills the name escapes me at the moment. I started off with one and increased it to two

and often took another two at 4am. Surprising that I still functioned well

during the day. I gradually weaned myself off them. More recently I tried Nytol

that did not help. My GP prescribed Furosemide that I did not take as

it is an anti-histamine and I did not want to chance it in case it affected my

prostate. He then prescribed Zolpidem that said not to take unless you could

sleep for seven or eight hours. I could not see that happening.

Recently for the first time I feel physically tired at periods during the day and it seems to have added to

my walking problems. I have of course tried different sleep routines as the

media has a lot about this at the moment ad going to bed earlier but that has

not helped either.

I now cannot see this ever getting better. How many of you are in a similar situation ??

If I do manage to sleep until about 7am I am wakened by a very noisy street cleaning vehicle that goes down our street and eventually comes back on the other side before turning into the

street behind our block of flats. That even wakens my sound sleeping wife but

she promptly goes back to sleep for another few hours. Don't you just hate

people like that 😃

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Derek,

I am 70 years old and also have urinary frequency due to BPH. I also wake up one or two times during the night. I have found that eating a little bran cereal with a spoonful of yogurt can help me sleep. Also tart cherry juice helps. I have read that tart cherry juice can help the body create its own melatonin. Another thing that helps is making the room dark, the darkness also helps create the sleep chemicals like melatonin. Sometimes I wear a sleep mask covering my eyes to make it dark, especially towards morning when light comes in the window. For noise from the street cleaner you can try foam rubber ear plugs in your ears. It is probably better to read a book or magazine than watching TV or a computer but about half the time I watch the TV or computer, because I'm lazy. I also found it helps to empty the bladder as much as possible by either peeing or using a catheter. One last thing is, sometimes I do an excercise of arching my back up and down while on hands and knees 30 reps, just before going back to bed. It makes my back feel better when I get back in bed, I was told by a Chiropractor that it is good for the degenerated disks in my low back. It seems to make me urinate a little more, and makes me tired, and raises my metabolism so I don't feel cold in the bed.

I hope some of this can help,

Thomas

• Posted

Derek,.

My last post did not go through correctly. Here it is again

I am 70 years old and also have urinary frequency due to BPH. I also wake up one or two times during the night. I have found that eating a little bran cereal with a spoonful of yogurt can help me sleep. Also tart cherry juice helps. I have read that tart cherry juice can help the body create its own melatonin. Another thing that helps is making the room dark, the darkness also helps create the sleep chemicals like melatonin. Sometimes I wear a sleep mask covering my eyes to make it dark, especially towards morning when light comes in the window. For noise from the street cleaner you can try foam rubber ear plugs in your ears. It is probably better to read a book or magazine than watching TV or a computer but about half the time I watch the TV or computer, because I'm lazy. I also found it helps to empty the bladder as much as possible by either peeing or using a catheter. One last thing is, sometimes I do an excercise of arching my back up and down while on hands and knees 30 reps, just before going back to bed. It makes my back feel better when I get back in bed, I was told by a Chiropractor that it is good for the degenerated disks in my low back. It seems to make me urinate a little more, and makes me tired, and raises my metabolism so I don't feel cold in the bed.

I hope some of this can help,

Thomas

• Posted

I don't actually have a prostate problem now. I had Thulium/Holmium laser surgery in 2013. Checks since showed that I now empty my bladder and I don't have frequency problems. I mentioned that as one of the factors that over many years got me into bad sleep habits along with lifestyle and other things like the recovery from heart surgery. I am just a poor sleeper and cannot get into a routine conducive to good sleep. Age may also be a factor but it is reducing my quality of life.

My asking here an on an other forum was knowing that this forum had posters with disturbed sleep and how they function when continually tired. In my case I'm probably not getting that much less sleep now than when my prostate was the problem It is just that it is now affecting me now. An afternoon nap does not work for me either as I cannot drop off then.

• Posted

Derek,

I have been having similar sleep issues for the past few years - up every 1:15 to 1:30. May be a bad habit from urine retention, now mostly cured due to a bipolar TURP in April. Here are some ideas that may help you.

First, you need strong ear plugs - the silicon plugs are very effective. You also need a sleep mask. To block even more light, I add a second pillow over my head in the morning.

You could take a little bit of melatonin before bed, then again in the middle of the night. A small amount at first is recommended. I bought the 1mg pills and split them in half. Some people take a lot more. You have already mentioned antihistamines like diphenhydramine. Tylenol PM has this as part of the formula.

Recently I started taking 5-HTP. It's a serotonin booster and acts to calm me down - seems to be helping with no side effects. Passion Flower and lavender teas and Passion Flower drops also help - both have a calming effect.

I am planning on trying CBD Oil next. It's expensive but people claim it's a great sleep aid. Worth an experimental try. CBD Oil is currently very popular and there are many articles about it.

Like you I don't like sleeping pills - don't want to be knocked flat out. Ambien is effective but the reviews are all over the map - some people love it, some hate it. Anytime you alter your brainwaves you never know what will happen.

Wishing you the best,

Tom

• Posted

I've been buying the top quality CBD oil for about six months. It has helped to a degree with my neuropathy and back pain but not with waking after a couple of hours and getting back to sleep again. Its calming effect does perhaps make me less annoyed about not sleeping 😃

In the 70's and early 80's I took Mogadon/Nitrazepam in increasing doses to try to sleep so you see how long term my problem has been and by far pre dating any prostate issues.

• Posted

That is my problem I like to be in control of my mind. I think the person who wakes in the night is not me! My earlier reply awaits the moderator and I cant think what word in it could have highlighted it.

• Posted

I can pretty much tell what time it is by what nth time I've woken up to pee. It's N*1.5 hours since going to bed.

I do go right back to sleep. Fortunately, I'm retired so can nap during the day.

I just got a prescription for desmopressin, but haven't taken it enough to conclude anything. I don't think I have nocturnal polyuria, so I'm not sure it's going to be all that helpful.

• Posted

Thanks Hank for the link to the very informative article on urinary retention. Last night I was having trouble falling asleep so I took a very small dose (12.5 mg) of Xanax, as I sometimes do, to fall asleep. In fact, I've hypothesized that it might mask the urge to pee, but experiments were inconclusive.

Well, last night I awoke 5 times instead of my usual (lately) 4 times. I've just looked up Xanax, since the article says "Some muscle relaxants (eg, diazepam..." can cause urinary retention and lo and behold the side effect information about Xanax says it can do it also. It was a low dose, but I'm going to have to stop taking it.

I also made the mistake of drinking 6 oz of instant tea (177 ml) immediately before going to bed with a f--k it attitude. Result: add 1 time to nightly peeing .

• Posted

I take diphenhydramine. It's an antihistamine but I figure sleep is more important than a little worsen prostate symptoms.

• Posted

For many people it is not a little worse but complete retention. There are many posts on that.

• Posted

If one goes into complete retention just by taking a little antihistamine then he already has a bad problem that needs to be dealt with.

• Posted

There have been several on this forum who did not know they had a prostate problem until taking an antihistamine.

• Posted

Many on here have gone into complete retention after a couple of tablets. One poster who did not have a diagnosed prostate problem took a tablet after drinking at a party thinking it would help him sleep after a late night and went into retention.

• Posted

Do you take diphenhydramine for its fluid retention properties? Why not take desmopressin, since it works on the kidneys to produce less urine in the first place?

According to Wikipedia, "desmopressin is a synthetic version of vasopressin, the hormone that reduces urine production."

I think 0.1 mg at bedtime is safe and has a very short half life. However, I'm told by my doctor that I have to get a blood test to see if it is causing an electrolyte imbalance (too much sodium I think).

Even if it does work, from what I see on the web, the effect is negligible -- maybe a 1x reduction in nightime voids, but I'll take anything I can get.

I don't think I have nocturnal polyuria, but don't know for sure because I've never kept a voiding diary. If I did have polyuria at night, desmopressin should work really well.

I think I need to do it -- spend one day measuring fluid intake and urine production.

• Posted

I am taking diphenhydramine for its sleep aid property. I will ask for desmopressin next time I see my doctor. Right now I am not doing too always bad, going to sleep at 10, getting up at 4 or 5 to pee. Short naps during the day. Maybe desmo can help me to sleep until 6 or 7. I am always for experimenting.

• Posted

I was in complete retention before, but it was because of many reasons, not just the antihistamine. I had a bad cold or flu at the time, so I was taking antihistamines almost every few hours. But I was also drinking a lot of liquid and staying in bed, not getting up, even to pee. All that contribute to the AUR, plus the fact that I didn't know I had BPH at the time.

Years later, my experience told me that consuming too much fluid is the worst enemy regarding to retention.

• Posted

Prior to my first prostate operation (GL) in 2004 I used to be told at the hospital that I was retaining between 400 to 600 mls but I never stopped peeing.

• Posted

Unfortunately, not in my case. I was prescribed an antihistamine cocktail for hives in 2014, went in to complete retention soon thereafter, and haven't been able to exist without a catheter since.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.