Effects wearing off after 3 weeks on Citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking citalopram for just over three weeks now (20mg) and initially, felt so optimistic about the effects - I felt as if a cloud was being lifted. I still feel a lot better than I did before taking it, but i'm starting to feel tearful again, quite anxious and not sleeping well. I also feel a bit manic at times, and then totally fine. Has anyone else had similar effects?

I'm due to go back to the gp this week but I wanted to know if these feelings are 'normal' and if it's worth persevering with it.

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi k64403

Its perfectly normal as it takes our bodies a while to get used to cit. and cit is used to retrain our chemical imbalance's, so takes everyone different times but mostly 6 weeks, so stick with it and join the forum = Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram? there are folk at all stages of starting and increasing Cit there to give you plenty of support, it got me through my bad times

Anne

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

my son is on 20mg for 3 week before he was on 10mg for 2 weeks .He has some manic days this week and very tearful and not sleeping even atlhough he is on sleeping tablets.Now he has gone very quiet and hardly talking and not eating very much.He has doctors appiontment next week don't know if I should encourage him to go before then.I am at a loss what to do for the best.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

qualiver - I'm sorry to hear about your son but it is great you are so aware of his changes; perhaps encourage him to go to the gp earlier if he feels he can. Men with depression seem not to discuss in as much details as women, so the sooner he sees a professional maybe the better.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

qualiver

he needs to stick it out, and he will return to his old self, get him to check in with Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram? so many folk on there going thru the same thing and offering support. cit is used to retrain our chemical imbalance's, so takes everyone different lengths of time to recover.

Anne

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for your support just at my wits end.He has been here since xmas as can't face going back to his flat.Not sure if he will be able to return to uni just got until may and he is finished but he is just so lost.He is attending a councillor and eventually went to doctor after a melt down at xmas.I just needed to off load thanks so much
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Looking back through the years of taking antidepressants, I feel they didn't really help and all I was using them for was a crutch. I was just SO desperate to feel better that I would have taken anything.

Depression is one hell of an illness but, personally, I think you have to get rid of the cause before you get better.

I had everything go wrong with my life and, as I have no partner, had to deal with it all on my own which was hard. I'm determined to get my old self back.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up