Elbow Update

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

Just a quick update on my elbow. Physio managed to get me an earlier appointment at fracture clinic so went today.

They are going to replace the radial head with a metal one. I have to go for a CT Scan next week then see fracture doctor to discuss the operation in more detail.

Pain is gradually getting worse - so much so that for the majority of the time I can't cope with it and so am becoming more and more reluctant to use my arm.

Anyway, I will let you all know when the date of operation comes through.

I hope you are all keeping well and the citalopram is helping you.

Melbi x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melbi

I'm glad to hear that they are finally going to sort your elbow out, it will be painful but at least there is an end in sight. I have been reading all the posts and keeping up with everyone thou haven't posted for a while myself. Things haven't been too bad, have managed to reduce to only 20mg every third day and seem to be coping. Mum is waiting for results of her brain scan, they seem to think it's early altzimiers (?) her outbursts are difficult to deal with as they are mostly aimed at me but we are pulling together as a family.

Your posts have been very positive Melbi and I'm glad you seem to be on the up generally, keep with it and enjoy the newly decorated room.

Best wishes also to Breezman, Stiltman, Tiny Tears and everyone who posts / reads here, it's a great source of encouragement, support & friendship from which I think we all have benefitted.

Love Nicky Jane x

• Posted

Hi Nicky Jane

I was thinking about you yesterday and wondered how you were getting on. It's good to hear from you.

I agree, this place is great for support and comfort.

The pain in elbow can't be any worse after the operation than it is now (can it? :shock: )

I just wish I could find someone withe same problem and hear what they have to say about the prognosis after the operation.

Oh well, like everyone esle here, I shall plod on as always.

Fingers crossed for your mum - have you read the forums here about alzheimer's disease? (Click Here)

Do keep in touch on here and let us all know how you are doing and your mum. It is great that all your family are pulling together for her.

Love 'n' Hugs

Melbi xxx

• Posted

Hi all

Melbi, hopefully the operation will ultimately leave you pain free, however, you'll probably need quite a lot of physio afterwards to minimise any loss of extension in the elbow. I assume also that the doc will repair any soft tissue damage in the joint when the radial head is replaced so it may be a bit sore for a while post op.

We've all got our fingers crossed for you!! :hug:

Nicky Jane, good to hear from you again. Sorry about the difficulties with your mum. It can be so hurtful getting unjustified criticism, particularly from those you love but at least you have your families support. Take care, our thoughts are with you too.

Best regards to all.

• Posted

Hi Melbi

Just joined the board this week - 4 days in on the tablets and feeling ok no side effects really yet apart from being nackered until about 9 and then feeling wide awake hence browsing on here and noticeing this topic.

I actually broke my arm about 4 years ago and had to have my radial head replaced. Not sure if you've had yours done yet but I'm here if you want to ask any questions about it.

• Posted

Hi there Poppy

Thank you so very much for your post and offer of support - it is very much appreciated.

I was back at the clinic 29th December and saw a doctor I hadn't seen before.

The x-rays show the fracture has now fully healed.

The doctor asked about pain and other problems I'm experiencing (don't you just love a doctor who allows you to speak) :D

Well anyway, he put slight pressure right on the point of my pain after I had explained my symptoms to him and OUCH - I almost shot off the chair. :oops:

He thinks the ulnar nerve is trapped/inflamed. I go for a nerve conduction test on 2nd February. So will have to await those results.

I'm pretty confident now after seeing him that the pain has nothing what so ever to do with the point of fracture as he has confirmed that has now fully healed :D so no need for the operation. :D :D :D

I am also extremely proud of the fact that my arm has regained almost full movement :D I can bend and straighten it to almost the same as before the fracture - which i'm lead to believe is excellent progress :P

My sincere apologies for not replying sooner.

I hope the citalopram is still working for you and you are making a speedy recovery from the terrible demon known as depression.

Take care and thanks again for your post

Melbi x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.