Electric Shocks from external stimuli - anxiety?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago with depression and placed on a low dose of Sertraline with a course of self-directed CBT. I found the side effects pretty intolerable (about four hours of S&D every day) so I went back on my two-week update, and my GP suggested I try Mirtazapine instead, with a warning about the side effects that this may cause. I didn't think they sounded as bad, but anyway after a really horrible and distressing reaction the next day - Took it at 20:30 and slept until  11:40, only then because someone dropped something upstairs. Spent a couple of hours with coffee trying to wake up, didn't work so tried getting some fresh air and basically lost control of my arms and legs, basically I feel like I am detached from my body, controlling it from about 5 feet behind myself. The rest of that day, and two days since I have been experiencing severe 'electric shocks' in my forehead, arms and legs as the result of unexpected external stimuli - for example - a car horn beeping, someone revving a car on a zebra crossing when I'm crossing, an unseen person suddenly talking, a seagull flying close to me, I get a horrible shock through my head and limbs, and this culminated this afternoon into basically a non-stop attack as I was trying to walk from the city centre back to work, with major sweating, panic, light headedness, giddyness and just feeling like I am about to die... any thoughts

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i know what its like im suffering with it but i find that if you have someone who is there for you and will listen then its good to tell them how you feel as they will help you through it.
    • Posted

Thanks Jacqualine. I do have support but it is limited if they have not been through it - I've managed to get in to my GP on thursday.
  • Posted

It's hard to say whether these are side effects from mirtazepine or withdrawal symptoms from citalopram or both. I'd say the sleeping was from mirtazepine.

the shock sensations could be withdrawal from citalopram.

i am not a doctor and it's not my place to advise but from what I've learnt I'd say stay well away from mirtazepine.

• Posted

I didn't think about the withdrawal.. I went back on the original med yesterday I'm just concerned that the anxiety seems to have come from nowhere and is getting worse. Mirtazepine is the work of the devil, im taking them back to my GP so that they can be flushed back to hell
  • Posted

I sympathise with your reactions to these meds.  A lot of SSRIs will make anxiety worse in the first month. It's hard to tolerate. I found Sertraline no use but had some success with citalopram and Prozac (which I am back on). I think a lot of us have to try to ride out the initial anxiety if we can and hope that the medication will work soon. 

I too tried mirtrazapine recently and only lasted 4 days as I felt like a zombie and couldn't function until 4pm each day.  Had an unreality feeling too. I have read that it is less sedating at higher doses but I wasn't prepared to try. If you can give an antidepressant 2-4 weeks it can be worth it. GPs don't warn you how bad the initial side effects are. I think they don't want to put people off taking pills. I hope you find something that works for you soon. I myself am currently waiting for my Prozac to start working so I can get my life back on track. 

• Posted

Thanks jo, I'm sticking with the Sert for now, and I've started to implement some initial bits of the CBT so fingers crossed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.