EMDR yherapy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone tried it? I have a friend that swears by it and that its helped his OCD/anxiety which i struggle a lot from. I have been going to therapy for about a month now but it doesn't seem to Ben rally cutting it.. I've tried hypnotherapy and that didn't do much either. I know EMDR is used a lot for PTAs but I know it can potentially help anxiety issues as wel. I have an appointment for an initial consultation with an emdr therapist tomorrow so I wanted to know if anyone has any experience?

0 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please excuse all the typos I'm on my phone and a pop up video keeps blocking my post so I can't really see what I'm typing lol
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Please let me know how this pans out. I have heard good things with this and PTSD. Theres actually apps you can download too. I have been contemplating trying this. Its very interesting. Please give an update or message me after you go a few times. Id love  to know your experience with it. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had this a few years ago, for me it was a disaster. It felt like my brain was being scooped out,it felt very unsettling and uncomfortable. I've heard it's successful for others,but for me personally I'd never go near it again
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey, emdr seems to be a kind of therapy that helps some but is ineffective for others. As you said its particularly effective for ptsd or an event that caused significant anxiety such as a divorce etc. I did about three to four sessions earlier in the year and it helped somewhat. I started to sleep better for about a week. And i felt grounded. It felt as though i was healing. While doing it u confront what bothers u and somehow your brain views it differently so as to cope with it. However, i had to postpone therapy for a few weeks because of college and so forth. I resumed emdr therapy and it is not effective as effective as the first sessions. However i have not lost faith in it bcuz it does take time to achieve results case by case. But yeah it seems to be effective for some and not so much for others. I guess a first try is the only way to know if it suites a person.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for the input! I am pretty terrified because I cannot have something set me back even more. rolleyes I like to test things before judging on whether or not they work but when it comes to whether or not my anxiety will get better or worse it's scary...
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm the same, that's why I avoid meds, any time I've tried they tend to make things worth,i stick to talking therapies. Emdr may well suit you fine,might be worth asking your therapist what to expect and take it from there
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm the same, that's why I avoid meds, any time I've tried they tend to make things worth,i stick to talking therapies. Emdr may well suit you fine,might be worth asking your therapist what to expect and take it from there
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Same! I tried citalopram and that was a nightmare.. I will definitely make sure it is something I can benefit from before trying and ask the therapist what to expect!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing this. Ive never heard of EMDR. I just did some research on this. I really like their approach and techinques . I am going to find a therapist  in my area that uses the EMDR style.There are many websites that talks about  EMDR and can locate a therapist in your area if anyone needs it.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have experience of using a form of EMDR with clients and would agree with nicholod89570 that it works well for some people and not others.  Part of the reason for that I think is how it is used.  It is important that you have some supportive good emotions to access during a session as well but some people find it difficult to access those and so accessing traumatic or anxious feelings is then an unpleasant expereince.

My background is in hypnotherapy and after I learned EMDR I incorporated hypnotic techniques into the process to soften it and found this worked well.  There is an EMDR variant which is called BLAST which does something similar.

So, I wouldn't be put off of EMDR because I have seen impressive improvements for people.  However, I would discuss your concerns with the therapist, ask them to talk you through the process and make sure you have some "emotional safety" availalable to you.  That could be breathing, memories of good times, a photo that makes you feel good, music - whatever helps you to feel more comfortable.

As an aside, the reason that hypnotherapy didn't work for you could also have been down to techniques.  If someone is purely giving you suggestions for feeling better but doesn't address the causes of how you feel then that is usually not effective in the long term.  Everyone is unique and often hypnontherapists will just use one technique that works on some people but not on everyone.  If something doesn't work for you, let them know and ask if there is any other way of doingi t.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the input! I'm definitely going to go over everything with the therapist today because I need to make sure I'm getting what I need and will benefit from it.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up