emetophobia huge mood swings

Posted , 3 users are following.

The love of my life (who is 34 years old- let's call her Jill) has severe emetophobia- every day convinced she is going to be sick, food limitation and avoidance and so forth. I have researched the phobia quite a lot in an attempt to understand as much as I can and I feel I am very supportive of her.

However, this is a relatively new relationship- our very close friendship grew over a couple of years, but our 'getting together' has been very complicated (both of us left long term relationships)  and arose over the past 9 months. Throughout those past 9 months Jill has veered wildly in her moods- from expressing her undying love for me, spending nights together regularly (we don't live together), planning a happy future etc, to the other extreme of saying she is no good for me, we shouldn't be together, she isn't sure etc. When this happens,I support her, say I understand and say that she needs time and that I will be there for her- which she always appreciates.

The mood swings can happen literally within minutes sometimes. I have come to suspect that they coincide with bad emetophobic times.

Jill makes me so happy and I love her so much. The mood swings are taking their toll on me. Just at the moment it's so hard as we are meant to be going to Paris together on 2nd January for 3 nights. This was booked a while ago in an 'up moment'. Jill has been looking forward to it until a couple of weeks ago. Now she is in a big down mood and is saying she shouldn't come etc. I know she is really worried about her emetophobia- having to eat out, potentially not able to find safe foods to eat, different water.

My question? Does emetophobia often come with such extreme mood swings? Last night I am sure her down mood kicked in because we were both going to have a packet of crisps in the USA) but I ended up forgetting to eat mine and this freaked her out as she then thought as she'd had more to eat than me then that would be bad. It was after that she started getting down about Paris.

I really need help- any light that can be shone on this for me would be hugely appreciated. And, indeed, anything I can do to help her. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Jill has a fear of vomiting but has she been officially diagnosed 

if she bonus she looses internal control but the mood swings could be irregular diet causing high and lows, or attention seaking whether its done intentionally or not it's still has the swing type emotional abuse to yourself and control.the external control that she only control by with holding something that will upset you 

What did the psych say was there test for other mental health ie bi polar etc 

hope it helps  but it's up to you go and enjoy Paris because if you do Jill will know she can't control you like this 

• Posted

She has not been officially diagnosed as far as I know but it is so clearly emetophobia
    • Posted

I'd look up bi polar that has mood swings not what you are describing and get it officially diagnosed 
  • Posted

typo above- delete "in the USA)"- don't know how that got there!
  • Posted

I agree with Gillian, but I also think she needs to get the right diagnosis and then treatment otherwise it will debilitate you both with you essentially being her carer rather than partner.

N

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.