Emotional

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone else is struggling with their emotions post op. I'm 4weeks tomorrow since A&P repair surgery...I'm turning into a right whinge bag, got all upset tonight cos I thought my hubby was off for the next 2 days only to find out he has to work, he does 12hr shifts....fed up of my own company, friends and family all in work!! Probably just feeling sorry for myself. Never had surgery before, is this a normal reaction? ?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Think it normal to react like that, it is pretty awful being stuck in house and being socially cut off. Have you started your short walks yet? I am 2wks and 4days post op and have started short walk round the block, managed to sit in sun for a little while too. Been looking at holiday brochures, don't know if I will be able to get away this year, but hope so. The sun brings neighbours out into garden and it's nice to get a short chat! Only a few more weeks and progress should be much further on , and it will be all worth it. I went to the library before going for surgery and got a pile of books which have kept me busy, and time passes quicker!

Hope you feel better soon, it's only a few weeks in comparison to the rest of your life. You'll be running around like a new woman in no time.

Phyllis xx

• Posted

Hi I'm nearly 13 weeks post opp I was an emontional wreck for what seemed like ages..I was very tearful..I think this surgery messes with your head because you don't no what to expect and it's so frustrating aswell but it gets easier I'm just about 100% now so take care and it is normal..ps I loved it when my hubby went off to work...😀👍
  • Posted

Thanks guys. ..just feeling a bit sorry for myself tonight. Wish I have discovered this site before my op. .might have been better prepared!!

Not used to being on my own so much, thought I would enjoy a bit of me time but because I'm limited in what I can do I just get frustrated!!

Tomorrow is a new day hey ...I will get through the long boring days xx

• Posted

Hi amchatt. Yes, it's sort of post operative depression I think. You are probably missing the company too, that's natural when you're used to working. Trust me, you will wonder why you were in such a hurry when you do get back it will be quite hard. Best to do a graduated return if you can. Weather permitting you will soon be able to go for short walks or pop into town for window shopping etc. but no carrying bags!

Reading got me through the 12 weeks I had off from work. Now you have daytime TV and umpteen channels to watch so take it easy, be kind to yourself for a while longer. Best wishes Pollyanna UK razz

• Posted

I wondered if there was any posts to say the op is successful etc ..
    • Posted

Mine was, 32 years ago! I did take it easy and my hubby and kids all helped out for a few weeks. Had a rectocele since then and vaginal vault prolapse plus ovarian cysts at the moment. Due for surgery in April! I'm 72 now. surprised
    • Posted

Hi there I had awful post op depression still now at 19 weeks I keep crying and getting emotional, so yes this is all part of the recovery. I think it's a bit because it's such a long recovery and not straight foward as everyone heals differently. X
    • Posted

I am a layman/woman! lol twisted Rectocele is prolapse of bowel into vagina. Vaginal vault I think is when top of the vagina descends lower and lower down the vagina. I'm sure Matron can explain better than I can being a gyne nurse and a patient! So first two ops were successful but age and weaker muscles have caused me to prolapse again. I've had four babies, full term, natural childbirth. cheesygrin  Not sure yet whether the urogyne will do the removal of ovaries first (as I requested) or the prolapse'. Maybe both. I hope to find out on Thursday at appointment but I have been given April 21st as OP day. Bye for now, Pollyanna UK rolleyes
    • Posted

Hello Pollyanna I'm sure your Urogynaecologist will perform both procedures at the same time. It will be the most sensible option, 1 anaesthetic and the same recovery time. Good luck.
    • Posted

Oh I hope so Matron! Don't fancy going in twice, I'm getting a bit nervy now it's closer. confused I shall ask him on Thursday at appointment. I've booked my dog into kennels for a week, hope that's enough. He's elderly too and doesn't need much walkies now, just plays around in the garden. Thanks for your interest and reply. Pollyanna UK rolleyes
  • Posted

Hello. Following any surgery and it seems gynaecology surgery it's perfectly normal to feel this way. Your body has been through the mill and back and it is major surgery. It's one of the things I always told my patients to expect around the 4-6 week post op period. 
    • Posted

Hi there

Are you guys in the UK?

I've had 4 bAbies I've just turned 57 and feeling very depressed about my prolapse and I can't walk far. I have 2 business's to run and a few dogs to walk each day - my life had just started to get good now this. I'm married and my husband never asks me how I am.

😭😭😊

• Posted

Hi worried, my normally wonderful husband was totally hopeless after my op. He never asked how I was. I still don't really know why, though he did admit to one of my friends that he hadn't reacted well. I could make all sorts of excuses and generalisations but just wanted to send you a hug as I know how you feel. I actually thought I might better off on my own than hoping for but not getting any support. But we survived. I'm now nearly 14 weeks and back at work (since 6 weeks). All going well (normal struggles with BMs) and starting back at the gym this week, only rehab exercises but it's a start. 😎
    • Posted

Hello, 2 bresychen

Thank you so much for your post .. I don't mean to complain but after reading all the posts waiting for positive news that isn't coming

I've had so many posts saying that people are suffering on here, bleeding, pain, etc I'm

Terrified.

I feel like I'm in a nightmare...the GP said the side effects of the op are that the bladder can be messed up..???! 😔

why would I want to undo my bladder TVT op that was done 4.5 years ago with fantastic results - I'm like I've got an18 yr old bladder! I was 20 years leaking until it got So bad I wax forced to go to hospital for surgery and I'm terrified and no ore med!!! Omg.

Now I can run sneeze jump cough it's amazing - but now I'm absolutely disabled after a 40 minute walk!

If this gets worse I'll be applying for a blue badge! I feel as though my life is ruined from having kids, and I'm depressed. It's not something you can talk to people about it is!

" oh what's wrong?"

Erm., " my vagina is falling out!" sad((( I have sons I can't tell them they just know something is wrong with me.

I hope I read more sucsess stories before the week is out !!

Worried. X x

• Posted

Hi worried, the ladies who sail through this op (and I'm sure there are many of them) don't need this site so we don't hear all their success stories. There are risks to all surgeries and I would ask your urogyn to explain them to you rather than your GP. Mine was very reassuring and they can give you stats etc.

Many people including me seem to get get very low around 3-4 weeks and you'll read a lot on here about that. Unfortunately the healing process can be very variable (one lady on here was v worried pre-op but was totally recovered in 3 weeks! Although that does seem to be exceptional) but we just have to be patient and vigilant. I'm so glad I've had it done and if it failed is have it done again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.