Emotional meltdown - it must be the menopause, not going nuts!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Was so heartened in the midst of my recent 'personality change' to realise that the reason must be hormonal, as i had begun to think i was going nuts!I read a great article in the Daily Mail recently about a woman who found her usual strong self in tears in the middle of the supermarket for no reason- I get that feeling, but generally about work. I have always been positive and optimistic til recently, but suddenly everything seems to be getting on top of me and I am finding it hard to cope, when I am used to being so self sufficient and independent. My mum had hot lushes - I don't sweat but feel as though I am on fire from the inside at night, but it is the emotional fragility I can't understand. I have always been able to handle things, and now find my stomach tightening into knots over little things, and generally feeling overwhelmed. I was getting irate easily a few months ago, lacking patience - now I just feel out of control and a vulnerable mess who has lost her self confidence - not so good when you work in sales and need to train others to be bold!

I'd really like to know what natural remedies others might have - or is my only open HRT?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Madmarilyn i have just reached your post. I am having some very similar symptoms to you. I to was a very independent person but for the last 18 months have feel overwhelmed and i cant cope sometimes with the slightest thing, i feel i could cry. I'm so dizzy/ lightheaded which makes work difficult, i struggle to get through the day. I also feel i have lost my self confidence. I'm not on HRT as yet and really don't want to go on any as i have has some horrid side effects with other meds in the past so would rather try and cope myself but if things carry on or get any worse i will look into natural remedies. I just want my life back. sending you a hug and take it easy x
  • Posted

Thanks so much for that, it does help to know it is nature playing up, not us going crazy!

I also found that talking honestly to other people, it's surprising how much the loss of confidence thing seems to be affecting others, but that like us, they daren't let it show. I hope, like me, you will have good times

between the not so good, and have some supportive friends and family. There are hysterectomies amongst

most of mine, which makes family comparisons tough....though they are sympathetic!

I think like you, I will look into natural remedies, as I also find my sleep patterns are quite disturbed, and I

never used to have trouble with that. Also, I have always had a pretty small bladder, but find I have to get up

in the night several times, as well as go pretty soon after I feel the urge these days, or suffer embarrassing

consequences! Ain't life fun sometimes? Anyone have any natural remedies that work, I heard about black

cohosh but it can have side effects?

Hugs back, we can beat this!

• Posted

Hi madmarilyn. Your symptoms are unfortunately very likely to be hormonally based, specifically a lack of estrogen which affects bladder control. I have just gone into natural het - there are some! With very few risks but even if this is not for you, consider localized estrogen which does not enter your system but will assist with the bladder issues. For me progesterone and estrogel after only 1 week are making a big difference!

Black cohosh can affect your liver so natural/homeopathic doesn't always mean best. Have a look at a site called menopause matters!

• Posted

Thanks, thought I'd read something about black cohosh not always being advisable. Was also reading the discussion about joint pain and menopause, as I thought my sore inner elbows and aching shoulders were something totally different. Might try the cider vinegar idea I read about too.

What a wonderful site, and such generous people giving their histories and symptoms for us all to recognise, as well as remedies and developments.

The best remedy for me has been the realisation that I am not alone and not crazy, and that there is a reason for feeling this way! Happy Christmas to all menopausal women out there, we are a special breed - no wonder it's us nature decided to hit with this - men would never hack it!

• Posted

I so empathise with the emotional melt down experience, I also get the tummy in nots feeling! I am now 62 and started the menopause at 53! Still seems to be going on I'm afraid but the symptoms are getting less intense, sorry cannot give a better outlook than that! :-/
  • Posted

Madmarilyn was good to read your post because lately I have thought I am having a breakdown! I am also struggling with things that normally I would brush off, I find everything and everyone is just basically getting my back up! poor hubby I don't know how he is coping with me - its like having permanent PMS, poor boy! I am 45 so going through it all early after having chemo in 2010, but hey ho! keep smiling! I am just about to start a new herbal regime, cant hurt really, i am not allowed HRT.
  • Posted

Yes yes yes

I have all the same symptoms and have tried all methods to try and cope with flushing etc.

From evening primrose to sage and nothing worked. I have a high family history of breast

cancer so H R T was something I wasn't sure of. Now having done research and getting medical

advice I am on HRT and it is worth it to have my life back.

Good luck

• Posted

I can really empathize with you. I've been going through menopause for a few years now. I'm also a lupus patient and have been on prednisone, a steroid that helps with inflammation and is used for lupus. I sometimes feel like it's a double whammy! ! And there's many times I think I am going crazy. (That's still a possibility!) Thanks for sharing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.