Encouragement for those in need at Christmas

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been suffering from extreme depression since around June this year when I was diagnosed by my GP.

At times I found the struggle almost too much to bear. But now, with the help of medication and self will, I am feeling much more normal again. So I would like to offer this encouragement to those suffering from this terrible and debilitating illness.

Keep working at it and don't give up. Make every moment of enthusiasm count, no matter how small. Use that moment to do something for yourself. It's hard I know and maybe it's easy for me to say now. But I do know how low you feel and like nothing is going to help.

But you have the power within you to make it work.

Do as much as you can to stop from curling up and going to sleep. Find something to focus on, something to divert your mind from those bad thoughts. As you manage each small success, remember it and next time it will be a little easier. If you can, get out and walk, as any exercise is good for you and will help in the battle.

Above all don't give up! It may seem a black as it can be. But it's only like a curtain and if you push a little it will open and you will be on your way to beating it.

I wish you all the best Christmas, especially as depression at this time can seem the worst. Keep fighting and don't give up.

Nigel

5 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

How lovely to hear a success story from one who has suffered.

all your good advice is correct, i try to follow it but the depression still hangs over me, guess i have not been one of the fortunate ones with a medication that would aid me.  What was your med that helped you get back in the running?

• Posted

What worked for me may not for others or may not be suitable.

I take Mirtazapine (45mg) in the evening and Venlafaxine 37.5mg twice during the day.

It took a number of weeks for them to have the right effect and they still may not be consistently good.

Good luck

Nigel

• Posted

Nandrews

We said. Christmas has arrived a time of positive expressions of good will

Have a Very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year

BOB

• Posted

Thank you Nigel for this post.... this probably gives me more of an understanding of my husband condition and how I can be supportive towards him.... have a lovely xmas 
    • Posted

I'm glad you read Nigel's post Samantha because what he has been doing works.  I am currently in a group (CBT) that works on these steps and it is very helpful.

• Posted

I think CBT defo is worth looking at, thank you. Do you think group sessions are better than one on one? 
    • Posted

It's does give a different perspective Samantha and you get to hear how others are coping.  I was at a point of willing to try almost anything and am I glad I did.  The facilitators, in the group I am with, provide exercises (on paper) that one can take home and work on.  I have found this most helpful in changing the way I think.  Most of the other people in the groups have also commented that they have found it very helpful.  

I wish you well Samantha and am sure you will find your way through this.  And hopefully your husband as well.  It sounds as though he is making an effort.  I hope that your family is enjoying a lovely Christmas.  Anne

• Posted

Yes absolutely Anne. 

He is defo willing to try. The past couple of days have been better. He's on anytime depressants and I think he's doesn't want to acknowledge any side affects, but even if there are any surely if it works if better than nothing.

That past few days Imer have been waking up and doing forest walks, he finds it helps him try to envisage a different way of living and perhaps it could help him be a better person.

He actually has his first CBT session in 3 days on the 28th (this happens to be my birthday also)

It was the therapist's first session after xmas and I had to make this a priority. I really hope this would help him find some resolution.

Thank you Anne 

Have a lovely xmas, I hope you are having a great day x

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement. Merry Christmas. Diane. 
  • Posted

Hello nandrews .... Glad you have turned  corner with this ....I to am suffering with depression it horrible black clouds sunk in a black hole don't laugh anymore I have changed  Christmas Day I was so sad and misaable cried in my sisters arm saying I will never get better and today is the same ,  no one understands how I feel I try to explaine but unless you no how could you  I can'vt bear these long horrible day feeling like this no more  ... How did you cope ..?

• Posted

moira96424

I don't think I coped very well and I too experienced very bad days like you describe.

I felt my salvation was in the daytime meds I was eventually prescribed which (after 3 weeks) improved my mood during the day. I had been prescribed meds for the night from when I was first diagnosed.

Speak to your doctor and try to get the right balance/cover of meds for 24 hrs. But you need to allow it time to take effect and you will still get some lows before it is stable.

Self help is important and you must make every opportunity count. I know they are few a far between, but for every moment you feel you can do something however small for yourself - DO IT. I think you will find when you make the opportunity you will find yourself doing a bit more than you thought and will feel encouraged by that.

Exercise is good too, so if you can go for a walk, again however small, DO THAT. Exercise has the benefit of helping release the good brain chemicals that are missing.

Above all keep from curling up and just hoping it will go away, IT WON'T. You have to work at it. But be reassured the smallest amount of effort will bring some benefit.

Keep in touch with this forum as there are many other people here going through much the same things you are.

Nigel

• Posted

Thank you Nigel for speaking to me I feel so alone.... I just had to come in to my bedroom and cry my eyes out because of this horrible demon living in me  the doctor gave me some Meds and they are not working  and also made me feel sick so now I am on another tablet to try   Feel like I am losing myself to all this x

• Posted

Feel for you Moira,

i have been where you are now and its absolutely horrendous.  Drs dont seem to know how bad it is and the suffering.

i have tried several pills and felt so sick on them, they cant seem to get one to suit me. What have you tried, and has the newest one helped?

good advice on here, try to do something, even a walk round the block helps to just keep you going.

keep,talking and you will get good advice.

• Posted

moira96424

Bear in mind that it seems the meds for depression do take a while to take effect and become stable.

Not great if you are feeling very low. But bear with it and I think you will realise the benefit sooner than later.

It maybe changing from one to another, before they get a chance to take effect, would exacerbate the problem if they are not complimentary.

Stick with one for a few weeks with the expectation that there are 'blue skies' ahead.

Nigel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.