Endometrial cancer - what were your symptoms?

Posted , 147 users are following.

Women with endometrial cancer have a variety of symptoms that differ between individual women, and, after diagnosis, many women wish they had acted earlier on something they thought was irrelevant.

If you have been diagnosed with endometrial cancer, please feel free to contribute your symptoms to this discussion, so that others reading this might get an earlier diagnosis.

12 likes, 227 replies

227 Replies

Next
  • Edited

First symptoms I noticed were a pale salmon pink mucus, which sometimes had tiny specks of blood in it. This came and went, and would disappear for a few weeks then return again.

Small specks of blood or pinkish mucus would happen when passing a stool, but at no other time.

Experienced no pain at all, and felt perfectly well and healthy.

Occasionally, 1 or 2 drops of runny blood now and then.

A small amount of watery discharge, which, gave a burning sensation and soreness.

A sudden unexpected flood of blood occured once, and resulted in the initial GP visit.

A sticking out tummy, as though pregnant, which got in the way of bending over, putting on shoes, and still stuck up, even when lying flat in bed.

Post-menopausal, diagnosed aged 52, with endometrial cancer at stage 1B.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Uterine polyps at age 47, I had had very heavy periods, no other treatment  given at that time, I went through the menopause about 18 months later without any further problems, then about a year ago (I am now just shy of 62) I started 'spotting' nothing much so didn't worry too much about it (Foolish in retrospect) and it wasn't all of the time, then one day in September this year I began bleeding with a vengeance, I bled heavily for about 2 weeks and possibly a bit longer than that, alternating between losing large clots of blood to flooding, I was getting through 5 pads at a time and they at times would only last 1 hour! I became dangerously anaemic, I also had the swollen tummy, I was diagnosed with Endometrial cancer stage 1.
    • Edited

I would like to add to what I have already said. Any ladies out there who  read this and have any of the symptoms we are listing here Please, Please go to the doctors and get checked up and if he/she won't listen to you or try to fob you off, MAKE THEM LISTEN make a fuss, even if you go on and all is OK at least you won't go the length of time that I foolishly did, I know I should have done something sooner but I was working full, sometimes up to 60 hours a week and was always 'too busy' to go to the doctors, I wish I had made time.
    • Posted

Ummm it sure if any of you are still looking at this forum. I am 27 no for the last few months I've had dark brown discharge. I thought that it was a yeast infection but my test for that came back with nothing. The discharge is a new thing though for the last year and a half I've had random nausea and leakage. My obgyn said she couldn't do an ultrasound unless she had a reason to. Does that sound bad? Or is it all in my head?

• Posted

Get a second opinion. I am 31 and I just switched my ob/gyn. I had long cycles and a lot of brownish towards the end. (Days 12-16). My first gyno said it was normal.... for five years. My new gyno sent me for a sonohysterogram which is essentially filling the uterus with water and found a polyp the size of my pinky. I just had it removed two days ago so we are still waiting for test results and to see if my period lightens.
    • Posted

Hi 

Hope everything is ok.  I have a polyup now too at 46.  Was wondering if doc told u had u got the cancer ? 

• Posted

Hi 

I hsve a polup now.  Did the doc say how come u had a polup. My doc doesn't say much 

• Posted

hi- i know this is old but trying to get some answers and i noticed you mentioned issues similar to mine. for three years now, since going off of bc i have been spotting mostly every month before my period. sometimes light pink to dark brown discharge for up to 10 days before my actual period starts. I had an ultrasound over a yr ago and they told me i had a thickened uterine lining but didnt know why. my new gyn told me he suspects low progesterone and put me on prometrium. it helped a little but the spotting still seems to persist even on it. i am worried about cancer and just wondering what your outcome was and if you got on clarify on your issues.

best,

s

• Posted

Hi, i know this was a long time ago but im currently getting these symptoms and wondering if you ever got a diagnosis? Obviously google has made me think the worst. Thanks

• Posted

Could be caused by low progesterone. It can cause brown spotty discharge.

• Posted

Hi informed.  The only symptom I had was a wind-type gripy pain, low in my stomach.  I thought it was my IBS.  Oh, and I also found it difficult to get comfortable in bed when lying on my side, but this turned out to be a cyst.
  • Posted

PS  I am 60 and diagnosed with ovarian/endometrial stage 1C.  Awaiting operation for radical hysterectomy on 9 January.
  • Posted

I had slight pink discharge twice My Gyneocologist had told me ANY bleeding post menapause treat very seriousley and with urgency I am 57 2 years post menopause

After Hysteroscopy November last year I was diagnosed stage 1 a endrometrial cancer I had total abdominal Hysterectomy 22nd december Here i am 5 weeks on recovering fairley well feeling very relieved it was caught so early Even then it was spreding down toward my cervix

Please please if any of you get similar symptoms get it checked out I am so glad i did xxxx

• Posted

Well said Pauline, I was also 1A endometrial cancer, I had left mine a very long time and consider myself very fortunate that it hadn't spread any further, but my consultant wants to see me every 6 months for the next 3 years to be safe,  I am 7 weeks post LAVH (vaginal hysterectomy) healing well and no pain. biggrin

Phoebe x

• Posted

Thank you for your contribution, Pauline. Just two occurences of pink discharge was very quick off the marks. I had this and tiny specks of blood for several months. Because I didn't consider this to be post-menopausal "bleeding". It was only when I had a gush of blood, (only the once), that I went to my GP. After leaving it for about 10 months before getting a diagnosis, I was finally staged at 1b.

I'm hoping that this discussion will show the variety of ways this disease presents itself, and help other women get an earlier diagnosis.

• Posted

Hello Pauline...hope this message finds you well. Did you have an initial ultra sound in the diagnosis process, and if so, did that find any abnormalities like a thickened endometruim. Many thanjs
    • Posted

Ladies I would like to ask you about blood test? I have had blood test done at Guy's Hospital in December.

I've been having little pink slimy spots, almost every month starting Apr. Can not say that anything else. Just come back from my GP he gave me blood test. I want to know if I'm safe. He was concerned about NHS! !!

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.