Endoscopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I got my gallbladder out on 5th of March this year. Ive had a lot of problems since then. sickness, weight loss, a lot of pain on gallbladder site and back, shoulder and upper left side. I took a few infections and was on antibiotics for 6 weeks after surgery. I've still a lot of pain and am unable to eat anything with gluten, dairy , wheat. I also cannot eat veg or potatoes or meat. Diet is a nightmare to be honest. I've to go tomorrow for an endoscopy and wondered if anyone has had one and what to expect. Thanks in advance everyone.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi joanne I too have had my gallbladder removed. I have severe IBS and since removal can't eat anything either.

As far as the endoscopy goes it is all over in a few minutes and I opted to be completely asleep which worked out very well as I am very anxious. Good luck and I'm sure you will do fine.

• Posted

Hi rhere,

Firstly I want you to know that it took well over a year for my digestive system to settle, I had all the pain you describe but was told it takes up to six months for internal healing and a year for my system to get used to a different way of working. Eat oatmeal, fruit, make homemade soups and broth, eat dry toast, make smoothies, no fat yogurt etc.

Secondly the endoscopy takes about 20 mins, ask to be sedated and you won't remember a thing. I had horrible gastritis after my gb removal but I stress to hang in there, this will settle in time.

• Posted

The endoscopy is nothing to be worried about; I had a camera down my throat, which I was worried about (but needn't have been) and a camera at my rear end. I had an injection which relaxed me, which I think they give as a general rule or if you're the nervous type, and it was over and done with before I realised it.

Sorry about your issues since removal of your gb. So many of us on this site have issues regarding post op. Because I was being sick and feeling very sick before my operation I was put on omeprazole, which really helped with the sickness. I have to say your diet sounds like its very narrow. I have to be careful with my diet and my op was in 2015, I suffer diarrhoa every day so have to take immodium. Wheat and dairy are not good for me; I have a lot of smoothies made with fruit and coconut milk.

I wish you well and hope that after your endoscopy you will have some kind of resolution as to why there is so much you can't eat now.

• Posted

thank you everyone for replies, I love this site everyone is very helpful here with guidance or tips. I agree my diet is very limited at the minute, I've lost about 2 stone since my Operation as most things I eat either make me vomit or run straight to toilet. I've also noticed since op my tummy swells an awful lot, has anyone else experienced this? I hope my endoscopy will show what's wrong. I'll let everyone know. thanks again.

• Posted

I'm three months post op. I was doing well but then my digestive system started to play up and triggered IBS.

I have a lot of upper left side pain but it's been suggested that its splenic flexure syndrome, where gas gets caught in the bend of the colon in that area.

I started taking Dandelion Root capsules to help my liver and my yellow diarrhoea does seem to have cleared up. mind you my diet is so limited it could be that too.

my next step is digestive enzymes. I've heard they really do help.

are you taking anything?

I'm encouraged to read that it can take more than six months for our systems to recover as I've been getting so anxious about my symptoms which of course just makes everything much worse.

I had an endoscopy before my gallbladder removal due to

my ongoing IBS problem. I was asleep and had no bad after effects.

I hope yours goes well.

I too have lost alot if weight but it's not surprising as I'm mostly too scared to eat.

• Posted

I got my endoscopy done yesterday, doc said there is a lot of bile lying in my tummy and he also took a few biopsies which will take between 6/8 weeks to come back. He will see me in clinic in about 8 weeks time. He said he will decide what to do then. I really sympathize with everyone who has had problems after surgery. I know from being on this site and talking to people it takes time for body to adjust but I never realized it would be so tough. i really struggle daily to find things that don't make me either sore bloated or sick. It's hard going sometimes. I know people who had gallbladder out with no issues, but a lot of people do get issues.

• Posted

Well done on getting your endoscopy done. They always take biopsies so probably nothing to worry about there.

Did he suggest anything that could be done about the bile?

I too became quite depressed when I read all the stories of people who just bounced back after their surgery, but there are also many like you and I who have problems and some much worse off. I have a friend who had hers three years ago. She is fine and eats anything with mostly no problems now but she said it took nine months. so I guess we need to be patient.

• Posted

doc said I shouldn't have the bile in tummy , he is going to have a meeting with his team and discuss what to do, he said he will discuss it with me in my appointment 8 weeks time. I know it's only 7 months since surgery but it feels like a lifetime, when I'm sick every day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.