Endoscopy Fears

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had an endoscopy done? I'd like to know what your experiences were with it. I'm scheduled to have one done next week because it is believed I'm suffering from gerd and inflammation of the esophagus. I've been quite miserable for 2 months now so I need to go through with it to figure out what's going on, but I'm very nervous. I've been told I will be sedated, but I still have fears of panicking in the middle of the procedure. The whole thought of having the tube go down my throat scares me so much! I appreciate in hearing your experiences to calm my nerves.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dee, no need to worry, I've had a few done, you are sedated and don't even know that it has happened! You wake up without any problems afterwards.

• Posted

Hi dee,

I really recommend being under anesthesia during this. I panicked before I'd fallen asleep but before I knew it I was waking up ten minutes later thinking wow that's it?

Good luck you'll do great!

• Posted

Dee Hi I'm sorry you are going through all of that. Please don't worry about an endoscopy. I've had 6 with sedation and they have all been fine. I had the Nissen Fundoplication surgery in June and I'm feeling so much better. I had grade D esophagitis. However my last endoscopy last month showed that I was looking pretty good and gerd almost gone. Again please don't be nervous as it will be fine. Best of luck to you and I hope the New Year will get you to feeling much better. Please let me know how it went. Warm wishes. Lorray

• Posted

Hi Lorray,

Thank you for your response. I'm absolutely having sedation, but I guess I'm not sure what to expect with that. I've never had sedation before. My doctor said it's not like going under but your sedated. I'm not really sure what that means lol. Are you aware what's happening?

Also, do you mind sharing me your symptoms of your esophagits? I've had sooo many tests done because my doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong. I've had chest pressure and a cough since November. Sometimes it would get so bad I felt like I couldn't breath. Had my heart and lungs checked with multiple tests. It wasn't until one day I had severe heartburn that wouldn't go away that my doctor suspected gerd. I've been on ompremozole for a month with a changed diet, but I don't feel better. I've also been having trouble eating. The pressure travels up and down my esphogagus and sometimes it's just achy everywhere with that awful cough. It's absolutely miserable. I had a barrium swallow done that came out normal to my surprise so I'm hoping the endoscopy shows something to why I'm having such discomfort.

• Posted

Hi Lorray,

I too had my surgery in June, I've only been back to see the surgeon once 7 weeks after op and now signed off at hospital.

I'm feeling OK still a bit tender to touch my belly and still have a bit of phlegm, O the whole though I think I'm doing well, over the Christmas I've eaten well in small portions and I've had alcohol too. Windy conditions still blowing strong north and south if you know what I mean.

I'm just wondering as you are at the same stage as I am how your symptoms are going.. Do you still have phlegm? Do you have any soreness around belly? I get a lump feeling sometimes in my throat do you get this at all now?

Thank you.

Margaret xx

• Posted

I had it done . I went for sedation as was also scared as knew I

would not be able to let them do otherwise.

They were all very nice.

The sedation stuff they spray you throat and up you nose is not

very nice. I just remember saying I feel a bit sick and them putting

the tubes on my nose for the oxygen telling me to lie on my side

next i just remember

telling them in felt bit sick then it was all over.

Last thing I remember was saying I feel sick don't think even finished

saying before sedation kicked in

you won't remember anything about it .

They even made me a nice cup tea and gave me some Biscuits

after. You will be fine .

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience! Was your procedure quick? I have to arrive 2 hours prior so I feel like I'm going to be super stressed while waiting for it

• Posted

You will be fine . Did they tell you not to take your medication for think was a week before. I freak about having to have a needle in my hand . That freaked me out more but they were so nice to me even put me at easy having that done. I have had the operation on August I had laposcopic Nissan Fundoplication. For 5cm Hiatus Hernia and refux Gerd. You could be more of a baby than me . Even my surgon was sweet as he knew I was so nervous he moved me to his first patient of the day for the operation . He had 5 scedule for that day ... You will be fine if I can do it you will be able to. I found this site very helpful as people are realy nice and tell you their stories and give you tips and advice . Really helped me through it .. Good Luck try not to stress about it to much you will be fine... Good luck hope all works out for you and you get all sorted out and feel better real soon...
  • Posted

Hi Dee,

I've had a couple of endoscopy and didn't enjoy them much, the first one 11 years ago I had sedation, well it never worked in my opinion I think the consultant doing it was in a hurry and I only felt sleepy while I was sat in recovery drinking tea.

The next was about a year ago and I had the spray as I had to get myself home, it wasn't pleasant experience but it was quick.

If I have another I will request proper sedation.

Good luck to you.

Regards

Margaret xx

• Posted

Are you in the UK if so the sedation will only make you feel a little Dorsey the first time I had it done I found it to be an harendus experience felt like I was chocking and the registrar shouted at me and said he couldn't do it so I when private To see a consultant and he agreed to do another on the NHS and gave me more sedation then The first one did i was still awake but much more relaxed I didn't care that I was gagging so much and coped better and the nurse and cosultant were lovely with me best of luck jet us know how you get on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.