Endoscopy - first time

Posted , 12 users are following.

Am due to have this test for first time - what can i expect?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Do you mean Gastroscopy? not my favourite procedure I must say, but all the other people who had it at the hospital didn't create the fuss I did, I am the worlds biggest baby but I found it extremely horrible, I do have a very sensitive gag reflex which really didn't help.
  • Posted

Hi Raffaela

Same comment as Explayboybunny. You will be given something to numb your throat (I also asked for sedation). It only takes a few minutes. I also have a really bad gag reflex and it isn't too pleasant (sorry to put you off). Make sure you take someone with you if you ask for sedation. You will probably have a sore throat for a couple of days. In my experience the tests are always worse than the surgery.

I also had gallstones removed this way and that was really horrid. It will all be over quickly.

Let us know how you get on

• Posted

When you say you had gallstones removed this way, does that mean you didn't have to go under general anaesthetic? 
  • Posted

I had sedation and although I remember it not being pleasant it was nothing compared to my colonscopy that followed!!! So don;t worry, just try and relax and breath, the nurse will hold you had and help you. x
  • Posted

Hi I have had this twice now both unsedated, generally the proceedure is, spray for your throat, not to bad, lay on your side, you have a mouth piece put in, if i remember you will have a tube in the mouth into your stomach where they will pump air in, they will then put the probe/camera where they have a look, i don't think it lasts any longer than 5 mins, the first time i found it a shock as i wasn't sure quite to expect, and sort of panicked, but as soon as i calmed down and just breathed slowly it was fine, you can gag and you you will burp a lot  but it is to be expected, got a bit embarrested but they are used to it, second time i knew what what was coming so was slightly better but its not pleasant but is over very quickly hope that helps
  • Posted

Hi Raffael,

I have had three endoscopes. One without sedation and two with.  Be sure to ask for sedatiion you won't remember a thing!

Best wishes,

Lynne

• Posted

I had an endoscopy a couple of months ago. Its not very pleasant at all i will admit. You will gag alot and it will feel uncomfortable but it only lasts like 2 minutes, and once its over its like a huge relief. All in all its not that bad so you don't have much to worry about, just relax and breath through your nose during the procedure. Good luck and hope it all goes well.
  • Posted

It's not all that bad raffaela! It takes about 5min. The only point of discomfort is for a few seconds when the tube goes through your throat. And when they pull it out. Your throat is numb so you won't have any pain. Just relax and you will be fine!
  • Posted

I had both sedation and spray.. I remember the first part and trying to fight the nurses off me.. So they gave me sedation and the next thing I remember I was in the recovery room! It didn't last long as all.. But I would definitely have sedation again if i had to have another!
  • Posted

I found it ok...but I did sleep through it! I had done with sedation. Definitely the way to go! Anaesthetic throat spray tastes a bit yukky though smile
  • Posted

Sedation, sedation, sedation........  why?   you know absolutely nothing about it

SIt on the bed, they spray your throat, you lie down, they pop something in your mouth, you fall asleep, wake up and its all over

Only disadvantage is you can't drive for 24hrs

• Posted

Hi Raffaela,

I 've just had this done for the first time a few days ago. The best tip I can give you is; Have the sedation. The throat spray is nothing at all to worry about- I've had throat spray that was really unpleasant and made me unable to swallow (and then I panicked) when I had camera put up my nose. This wasn't like that at all and just doesn't taste too nice. If you let them sedate you, you don't really remember it but they get the amount of sedation spot on so that you don't even feel groggy afterwards. I know you can't drive for 24 hours but you won't feel out of it -it really is the best option. I was lucky enough to meet a lovely man who chatted to me before my proceedure and said that the first time he didn't have sedation and he feels like he just put himself through unnecessary discomfort. He has regular gastroscopies and always has sedation now. And by the way, it usually takes around three minutes for the proceedure itself the nurses told me, so really, nothing to worry about at all smile

• Posted

As i get bouts of dizziness from time to time (I am being investigated about this as well), i am not that keen on being sedated and wondering whether i should put up with the "discomfort" for a while - not yet sure what to do!
  • Posted

Why make the decision yourself. Chat with the Dr and ask them if your dizziness can affect being sedated, they won't do it if it's a risk. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.