Endoscopy - scared and need advice

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello

I have just rang the hospital today as rcvd my letter to call and book an appointment for an endoscopy (been referred by my doctor). I am being contacted back Monday to let me know what dates they have available. I have suffered for six or months now with a horrible burning feeling down my throat and at the top of my throat plus keep getting chest pains. I am currently on 80mg of Emozul a day. I am hoping that having this camera down my throat will confirm what it is. Has many other people had this and what has the outcome been and does it hurt, also what medication mg are you on?? I don't know when to stop taking my meds either as have been advised I may need to before I have procedure done......

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Not sure when you should stop taking meds but my wife and I have both had endoscopy tests and you will be fine.so don't sit there worrying. All the best.
    • Posted

Thank you ted that's very kind what was the outcome for you and your wife
    • Posted

I have just had my stomach acid monitored and they found I am making acid when I am asleep. The tester said that my consultant would need to confirm it but it looks as though I have an hernia. Why they did not see it when I had my endoscopy I don't know. So I now have to wait for the consultant to contact me. Here in the UK it takes ages to get an appointment.

My wife as acid reflux and she is on lansoprozole as I am but thankfully her reflux is proving to be less of a problem than mine is. Just go with the flow and in my experience everyone you meet just wants to treat you caringly.

• Posted

I am also in the UK and waited 12 weeks so far to get an appointment so know how you felt lol! Hope they get you sorted.

It's horrid isn't it, my medication has stopped working as well which means I'm in pain quite abit.

• Posted

Hi

Don't worry about the endoscopy. I'm a wimp when it comes to things like that, but I got through mine and the docs were able to get a clear view of things in my stomach.

The throat spray is a bit yucky, but noting serious. I never felt too much of the tube going down, it was only when it was further inside, that you do feel it and it feels awkward, as your body isn't used to having a tube put down it lol

Just explain to the staff how you feel and ask them to take it slowly. The hospital staff with me were brilliant. there was one point I wanted them to take it out, but they got me to focus on my breathing and talked me through everything.

If I can do it, you can. Try not to worry too much. It really takes no more than 5 minutes and you'll be chuffed that you got through it. 

• Posted

Thank you. Were you sedated or did you just have the spray. I am very nervous but can't wait for it to be done as my meds have stopped working and in quite some pain now sad
  • Posted

I had the throat spray. I didn't feel it going down my throat, just when it got further down into my body, but thats when you have to let go and focus on your breathing and think of other things.

When you do go for your endoscopy, you might find the sedation better, if your in pain. I haven't had the sedation, as I don't like going under. But thats just my opinion. Talk with your doctor about it :-)

• Posted

They should offer you the choice of sedation or just throat spray. Most people find sedation means you'll find the scope no big deal but you'll need someone to take you home and not use machinery for 24 hours.

Sedation doesn't work with me so I have to rely on just throat spray and it's not nice. I try to remain quite calm and not to gag.

Once you have a date, do check with the hospital about medication. Usually it's not necessary to come off it. Remaining on the medication means there shouldn't be oesophagitis to obscure the view for any abnormalities such as Barrett's Oesophagus. (Occasionally it's necessary to be off medication if they wish to see if it's necessary.)

If your hospital's anything like mine, you may have to wait a while. My next scope's due but I know they're rushed off their feet working over weekends as well and understaffed and having to pay to send some to a privatised hospital for scoping.

All the best,

Chris

• Posted

I have had three endoscophys, two with sedation, one without. It is over with rather quickly and there are nurses there to help you feel at ease. I prefer to have the sedation. Try not to worry as the thought of it is worse than the actual thing. I hsd oesophagitis and some years later gastitis, both times put on omeprezole and zantac, as too long on the omeprezole caused me extra symptoms. At the moment i am not on medication.
  • Posted

Hi I hope all goes well for your appointment

I have had this with and without sedation

I personally prefer sedation as I did not

Remember having it done.

It was useful for me to have these tests as

I needed to have surgery.

I recently had the linx procedure.

Good luck

• Posted

I am the biggest wimp ever !!! I remember sitting in the room thinking " They are going to stick a pipe down in my stomach "... I was panicking but opted for the throat spray and you know what it was nothing!!! In fact if someone came into our house now and said could I do it there and then I would open my mouth for the spray ..the spray tastes like bitter stuff and makes you want to wipe your tongue . Then as the it starts working you can't feel yourself swAllow which is the strangest experience ever . I kept saying I can't swallow but the doctor just laughed and said you can you just can't feel it . He took a few biopsies which felt like a bubble of wind in my stomach ( no pain just a feeling) and within 2 mins it was done !!!! My husbands friend took great delight in telling me the horrors he gies through when he has his and I'm sorry I listened to him as it was nothing like he said . Just focus on your breathing , not because you are going to die or anything , but whilst you are focusing on that you won't think about what they are doing . I then went on to have one up my nose a few days later and I was like " bring it on I am fearless "... Again the taste of the spray was the worst bit . Good luck and I hope you get your diagnosis you want x
    • Posted

Thanks Claire what was the outcome of yours and how come you had to go on to have it up your nose a few days later? I am going to opt for the spray I think.
    • Posted

I've suffered with globus for ages now and I just wanted to see what the hell was going on . Endoscope showed everything ok so needed to get my larynx checked . Had very slight inflammation nothing to worry about so just get on with it and it will go was the outcome
  • Posted

Hi I have had my endoscopy and it showed I have Barrett'S Oesophagus. The endoscopy was fine, I had sedation and didn't remember a thing about it. I will need to take medication for the rest of my life and have regular endoscopies to rule out any change in the cells. I still have the symptoms, some days are worse than others. I would advise anyone to go for the endoscopy and don't delay because you are scared, it is really nothing to worry about.
    • Posted

Well done.

Those who have Barrett's and know it are the lucky ones. Knowing you have it means you can modify lifestyle if necessary to reduce acid and reflux. And you can receive medication to help and have surveillance every few years to look for signs of dysplasia whence you can have the Barrett's ablated to minimise any risks of progression to cancer.

It's those who have Barrett's and don't know who are more at risk of developing cancer.

So endoscopy is important to know if you have Barrett's.

All the best, Jennifer. If you need support you can contact Barrett's Wessex, patient support charity for anyone with Barrett's, any time. (You don't have to live in Wessex - or even UK)

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. It's so good to know that there is support out there, should we need it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.