enlarged prostate?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 34, male, healthy BMI, and no known conditions, i.e.non diabetic although my father has diabetes type 2 (diagnosed in mid 50s).. I am taking mirtazipine for the last 2 months and have had anxiety/depression on and off for many years. 

The last month or so I've woken up in the early morning (range from 230am - 6am) and had this strange but slight sensation that I need to pee. I awake to find I have it and sometimes I go pee, other times I have not. At times I've been able to fall asleep after peeing so I have the required sleep.  It definitely isn't a strong, intense, desperate urge but rather just a slight awareness if that makes sense. That's why when I do urinate, most of the time not a great deal comes out - around 8-10 ounces which is actually the normal urine produced by the kidneys overnight. However, there is no reason my bladder cannot hold this amount of urine, cos during the day I can hold in far more than this.  I always make sure I empty my bladder before bed so this urine can only be the urine produced by the kidneys overnight.  I do tend to have tea before bed which I'm trying to cut down on but again I've always had this and never had an issue. 

Flow of urine is normal, no pain, burning etc. AND I've never been more than once. I know nocturia is usually diagnosed for people who go at least twice in the night.  I realise once in the night for a mid 30s man may be normal but when I've never had to wake up before in my life it's a bit frustrating. 

During the day I have no real telling symptoms although on a few occasions I have got the sudden urge to urinate even though I emptied my bladder just prior and no liquid intake AND occasionally I have a slight strain to get rid of all the urine after emptying even though only a few drops come out.  Possibly a slightly dry mouth the moment I wake but that soon disappears.

I had two urinalysis done both of which came back normal (so infections, inflammation etc). Doctor also mentioned it could be just anxiety and to monitor my symptoms. I guess worrying about this makes it worse, I know. 

Do you think this is a prostate issue, like enlarged prostate?  I've never had any problems with sleep and never had to wake up to pee before in my life so this is why it's worrying me. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you had a DRE (Digital rectal exam)? That would let you know if you have an enlarged prostate. It that is the case, there are medications that can help with that. Prostate cancer is highly unlikely at your age. It is good to have annual physical exams and have a DRE which would indicate any abnormalities - and have your blood work checked with your PSA numbers. Keep your anxiety under control... and try not to worry, but do get your PSA checked and a DRE. That will help ease your anxiety.
  • Posted

Yes thanks. 

I guess if I did something like enlarged prostate I would constantly feel uncomfortable and needing to pee every time my bladder has some liquid in it?

However, most of the time I can easily hold in 500ml + without any issues. 

I will get a rectal examination on my next visit to the doctor and see what he suggests. 

• Posted

Did you ever get the exam? If so what was the diagnosis? 
    • Posted

I finally had a DRE earlier this week and to my surprise, the doctor said it was slightly enlarged however it was very smooth and normal in that regard.  I didn't expect someone my age to have this but the doctor wasn't overly concerned about it and said it's not abnormal and this can happen and it's nothing hugely to worry about.  Nevertheless I might do a PSA test but I'm really scared now thinking what if my score is high. . Am I right in thinking that the smoothness and surface/texture of the prostate is more important than the actual size? 

He thinks that my symptoms are more likely due to a slight over-active bladder than anything else.  I hope it's that rather than a prostate related issue. 

• Posted

If your DRE shows your prostate is smooth - that is a very good thing. And the enlarged prostate is very common and usually nothing to worry about. At your age, I would think it is nothing at all to worry about. At your annual physical, your blood work usually checks for the PSA reading. So try not to worry. It's good to keep an eye on your health and get annual physical check ups.

• Posted

Thanks Charles. I guess I'm still trying to figure out why I'm still getting these mild symptoms. For example, the last few days now, I've woken up around 1-2am with this strange slight sensation of wanting to pee, a mild tightness possibly down there, however it's still not strong enough to actually make me go pee. That's because I know that my bladder is never actually full at this point. I empty my bladder before bed obviously. For me, I can hold upto around 700ml until I really feel the urge to go. 

However the odd thing is that I'll fall back to sleep only to wake up again around 4-5am with that urge still present. But then if I just lie in bed or use my phone or whatever it seems to disappear more or less, within minutes. It's literally just present when it wakes me up and that's it. So maybe it's just nothing but this is disturbing my sleep I guess.  

So I guess I'm trying to work out is why I'm waking up in the first place like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.