Epley without BPPV

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys,

I was diagnosed with a right ear imbalance through some VNG/ENGS tests, however no vertigo was found. I went to a physiotherapist, and she said she saw very mild nystagmus, which may have been missed by other doctors as I have had the dix hallpike done on me numerous times. She performed epley maneuver and sent me home. I am a little bit worried, as no one ever saw it before, so I’m not sure how she observed it. I was wondering, could the epley maneuver harm me, if she misdiagnosed it? Is it harmful to perform it if you don’t actually test negative on dix hallpike?

Please let me know!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

No Sam, it can't cause any permanent harm.

In the event the Epley is performed incorrectly on someone who really does have BPPV, it can make them feel terrible for the rest of the day. That happened to me in my first attack of BPPV, when the Epley was bungled by an ENT doctor. However, that can only happen when you have posterior-canal BPPV. The Epley can temporarily shunt the errant crystals into the lateral canal if it's not done right, causing violent nausea, but that will automatically clear up once you've been lying down overnight.

The Epley clearly didn't do you any harm. Trust me, if it had shunted the crystals into the wrong place you'd really have known about it for the next few hours! As far as I know, that's the only harm it can do, and even that isn't permanent. If you're no worse after having it done, then it clearly didn't do you any harm.

• Posted

What if I don’t even have BPPV and epley manuever was performed? Is it still no harm?
    • Posted

Of course! Didn't you read my post? The Epley can't permanently harm anyone, especially if you don't have BPPV.

It only causes temporary nausea and vertigo if you do have BPPV and the Epley is done wrong. And even then, this effect only lasts a few hours before correcting itself naturally. From the information in your post it looks as if you had this done at least days, if not weeks, ago. You have nothing to worry about.

• Posted

It’s the opposite, it’s a very helpful way for bppv

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.