ER doctors won't take symptoms seriously after gallbladder surgery.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed on 8/28/18. Yesterday at first my throat started feeling sore and I was having trouble swallowing anything and my neck was sore. Went to the ER and got tested for strep which was positive. Gave me 2 shots of penicillin and sent me home. Took a a nap and when I woke up my neck was stiffer and I felt numbness all in my chest, shoulders, and up to my cheeks. Went back to the ER and after getting my temperature taken, blood pressure, heart rate, and ekg done they said I was fine it's just anxiety and told me to take some benadryl and go back to sleep. Woke up this morning and still feel the numbness and now I have trouble getting a full breath. Went back to the ER and they just dismissed me again saying it's just anxiety don't worry about it. I really doubt it's anxiety that's lasted this long and is getting worse. I'm not crazy right? I don't feel good enough to drive over an hour it would take to go to another ER.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Strep throat will make you feel so ill and on top of just having GB out it does not surprise me you feel so bad, all I can say is REST and REST well, then see how you feel?????
    • Posted

I'm resting. Hopefully after the weekend I start improving.

• Posted

Hi, as I posted a few days ago, I had my gallbladder removed in January of this year. My surgery was outpatient, so I went home the same day. My throat became sore and begin hurting the same day. My surgery was on a Wednesday by Friday, I couldn't talk and was in extreme pain. I took tylenol plus throat tablets until Monday, and I called my MD. I was able too see her that day, and she immediately ordered a chest x-ray to rule out a chest infection. She prescribed me antibiotics, because my throat was so saw from being intubated. It took almost a month for my throat to clear up and for the pain to subside. I didn't have a chest infection, but I caught a cold, had a nose & chest congestion, plus chest pain ...my doctor said all this was caused by me having the tube down my throat during surgery, she said this does happen to some people. My advice is to continue to seek medical attention if you feel something is wrong ...only you know your body. I know I went to my doctor because I was concern that my throat, chest etc. may have been scarred as they were putting tube in or pulling it out. Sorry for rambling on. I hope you feel better in time. Get plenty of rest and try not worry. Please keep us posted.

Take care!

• Posted

Wow. I'm glad to hear that you are doing better. So far all that sounds like me. Having trouble swallowing much. Chest is uncomfortable and harder to breathe. Doctor says vitals are fine and wants to to stop by next week to get some blood work done to be sure. I hope this doesn't take a month but at least I know someone went through something similar and made it through.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.