ER Dr didn't give me any direction

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have just been diagnosed with diverticulitis. I don’t know what to eat or what to do… ER doc was horrible. He put me on 2   on antibiotics , told me not to eat seeds. Didn't say a word about what I should do for the first few weeks. I had no fever.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

The Dr. barely gives any good information on this disease. I will tell you that you must rest your intestines for 3-7 days by going on a liquid diet.  You can eat soup and gel-o. Drink lots of water and some aloe vera juice. Get some probiotics to restore the good bacteria in your gut and you should feel better in a few days. After feeing better then you can add fiber into your diet slowly. You will learn what to eat and not to eat through trial and error. However, it will be good to take probiotics everyday and drink aloe vera juice as often as possible.

• Posted

Yep no help. If your a cancer patient with a bowel problem they would t treat you this way. The pains terrible with a flare up I been to ED multiple Times put on a drip was so bad. Dehydrated Antibiotics also can make you feel rotten and cause more diarrhoea. What you have is Diverticular desease it's only called diverticulitis when you have a flare up. Your privacy dehydrated you need to only drink water have liquids soups vividly for two days and then maybe chicken rice pasta. There are ma y foods you should avoid and drinks your find list of foods to avoid. I can't drink fruit juices but Mango juice is one you can drink and coconut WATER has many vitamins good for dehydration. His answer about seeds and being horrible. Sorry. it you need to make a complaint. I have already as many Times landed in ED. and on occasions admitted to ward. The only advise you received has been abysmal re foods Yes seeds tomatoes or on bread. other can get stuck in the dervicular pouches causing iinflimation Jane .Personnaly I would go to your doctor and ask to be referred to a consultant gastric clinic for tests to see how bad your DIRVERTICULAR. IS !! Especially if your ending up with having to go to ED once is enough for me it's been multiple and now had CT scan September from a new consultant. The other one kept saying normal for

my age lasr CT scan 2014. .Was a lie I have chronic diverticular disease. I thinking suing my previous consultant.as now this hospital pulling out all the stops and now taking my case very seriously. You don't. need to end up in ED and be treated this way with a unsimpathetic horrible doctor when your in pain. I have lost faith at moment obviously the untruths my care. I use to be a nursing assistant so I know when being told things medical when their saying taliking down to me and talking untruths

my care .RANT OVER LOL.

• Posted

Ps sorry for some the message I have trouble with predictive text. I'm 70 by the way. However I know been treated really badly my care Age shouldnt come in to the equation if your in pain. However seems their excuse lately.!
  • Posted

Welcome to the club Jane.  It's not one anyone wants to join but at least you've found people who know what you're going through.  It is a battle of finding out what triggers your flare ups and what eases the symptoms.  Like Tee said once a flare up starts go liquid for the first week or so to give your bowels a rest then start to slowly introduce soft easily digestable foods like mashed potates and mashed eggs.  then slowly introduce higer fibre foods. If your having trouble with your BM a diet high in fibre is good because it draws water to your bowels and bulks up your bm making it easier to pass. Some people can tolerate seeds.. most can't. skins, pips etc are not our friends most of the time.  Probiotic anything helps.  I drink Kefir Probiotic Milk and eat activia probiotic yougurt every day.  helps keep the good bacteria in our systems that we need. 

I'd suggest keeping a food diary every day so you can go back and see what may have caused a flare up. This has helped me a lot.

As with most of us, our gp's dropped the ball when giving us information on how to deal with this.  You will gain mountains of insight and information from the wonderful group of people on here.  Be a sponge and absorb as much as possible.  It is a journey of highs and lows but you've come to the right place for support, kind words, compassion and understanding.

btw..don't worry about offending anyone here by giving TMI..we ALL do it..lol

biggrinredface

All the best

Sunni

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.