Erethral stricture widening

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I am almost 60 and had an anterior/posterior repair back in February and the doctor is pleased with my recovery. However, I am still having some difficulty with urine flow and getting up at night 3-4 times to go to the toilet as wel as not emptying my bladder fully. The doctor has now booked me to have my urethra stretched. I haven't read of anyone having this done but would love to know what is involved and if there is any recovery time required or is it back to business as usual. After having eight weeks off work earlier in the year I'm hoping this will be a straightforward procedure.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Moring ANgela

I can't comment on the procedure but if you find you are not completely emptying your bladder try double voiding techniques. Basically, wee as normal, dry, then stand and do a hoolahoop with your hips, then go back to another wee. This helps to dislosge any urine that gets trapped in kinks in the bladder. Stale urine in the bladder is a major cause for repeated urine infections, so for anyone who wee's and knows they have not emplied their bladder fully, or gets repeated infections, double voiding techniques are vital.

Hope this helps with one part of your query, Good Luck Angela

S

• Posted

One of the other forums may be able to help with the procedure angela because it is common and very successful. Try searching for it on this website and I'm sure someone will be able to reassure you. Just to add yes it is a straightforward procedure.

• Posted

I did have a bit of a search but found mainly men who had had it done. However, I will look again. Thanks Matron.
    • Posted

angela you're right it is more common in men and their families experiences will be different because their anatomy isn't the same. All I can say is that in the few ladies I've seen who had the procedure it has been successful in the short term however I don't know how they were later. Hopefully your consultant will share his experiences with you. Write all your questions down and don't be afraid to bombard him with them. Keep in touch because I'll be interested in how you get on xx

• Posted

I'm booked to have the procedure on August 17. After my 60th birthday party! I do have faith in my doctor as he is one of the best urogynaecologists in Sydney. I did find some further reading today so that has out my mind at ease. I will let you know how it goes Matron. Thanks.

• Posted

Hello angela, I'd forgotten you weren't from the UK. If I remember rightly a Urogynaecologist or urologist did some research into widening of the urethra. You have probably read it whilst you were researching it. Good luck and take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.