ESKD

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my dad has ENKD he first got this in about 1993 and was lucky enough to get a transplant within 6 month this kidney went on to last for 11 years when it failed once more he then had a long wait but was fortunate to get another kidney transplant in 2013 after 9 years of been on dialysis. Since this he has been really unlucky with his health with his aorta tearing in 2014 meaning he was in hospital for a very long time! Since this his kidney has started to fail! In December he was diagnosed with Emphysema, has become very breathless even while just sat on the sofa he struggles! A nurse came out to see him today to talk about dialysis and things and said his kidney was at 12% she said they don't think that it is beneficial for him to have dialysis with the struggles he has with his breathing from to doing simple tasks like standing up! his right lung also has pleural effusion and his left one has a small amount of pleural effusion! He struggles to eat aswel as after 3 mouthfuls he becomes very breathless so in turn makes him lose his appetite! Is there anything out there that can help my dad without dialysis? His skin is looking yellow now is this because of his kidney? Could you recommend something which would be easy for him to eat or drink to get the nutrition he needs? He is already on Maxi Dual powder which he has in every cup of tea he drinks.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So sorry you are going through this. I would think that his nurse should be able to answer some of these questions. There are many liquid supplements such as Ensure but you need to check with his medical team. These are tough times with no easy answers. I encourage you to speak with your Dad's healthcare team and make use of any resources they offer.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply! My dad has tried many shakes none of which he likes! The powder is the only one he likes!! Last time he was weighed he was at 47kg so as you can imagine there isn't much to him!

• Posted

Hi,

I am so sorry your father is going through this. It is only dialysis or another transplant that will help him I am sorry to say.  Regarding his food the nurse should be able to get him some ensure, it come in various flavours of milkshake and fruit juices.  He should be able to find a few flavours he likes and they have all the nutrician he needs to help maintain his weight.  He will be on anti rejection meds to reduce his immune system so avoid pro biotic drinks they are designed to boost the immune system and for obvious reasons you don't want to do this as his kidney function will drop quicker and he needs to preserve his remaining kidney function for as long as possible.  The yellow tinge is more than likely the kidney function I had a yellow tinge towards the end of my kidney failure.   I wish you both well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.