Esmaya 5m

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ive ben on Esmaya 5mg for two weeks now, How long before there are any changes. Ive had a period which was very heavy whilst taking this tablet and have developed a very itchy stomach.

Im know sure what to expect as i can tfind  any review regarding the outcome of taking this.

Can anyone help please

0 likes, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I haven't used my esyma yet. I will start mine in the next few days but it does say in the side effects-may cause dry skin,  maybe that could make it itchy? 

Might be worth while going and speaking to the GP...

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

I took Esmya for 12 weeks, I understand that this is the standard (for now) duration of treatment. Therefore your question about how long it takes to see changes really is difficult to answer to be totally honest - how would anyone know until after treatment has finished really? Anything that happens during treatment may just be a side effect too so I genuinely do not see how anyone can answer such a specific question.

If it helps in another way I took Esmya for 12 weeks and here is how it was for me. Felt nauseous probably every other day but settled with eating, tired and a bit arsey mood-wise, had almost constant slight discharge but nothing too troublesome, and a few spots but again, nothing major.One period at around 6-7 weeks of the tablet but only lasted a few days and was heaven compared to what I had experienced prior to Esmya!

Had ultrasound three weeks after last tablet and showed reduction of around a third in size. First period after Esmya was 5 weeks after finishing and quite heavy for a couple of days and ongoing for last two weeks on /off - this is the most irritating thing really, keep thinking it has stopped and then it kicks off again, not heavy but a nuisance I guess.

Agreed with my consultant to simply see how it goes over the next year or so. I understand that there is some new research which recommends 24 weeks rather than 12, but I haven't read this myself. I would certainly  not have any issue if I needed to take Esmya again in the future, much rather do that than face surgery but I guess time will tell - if I am crap again in a few months then I could easily change my mind and think that Esmya is rubbish lol!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh guys, I forgot sorry, sides of my abdomen were really dry towards the end taking tablets, quite itchy too. Just used aqueous cream nd it settled down pretty quick.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I started these tablets two weeks ago and no real side effects, but may be too early to say. Have had a few headaches but not sure if these are due to the medication or the normal day to day stresses of life! Are you having an operation? I am on a waiting list for an open myomectomy.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I started taking these tablets bout 8 weeks ago.  Iv just had a break out of spots but these seem be clearing up during the last 2 weeks..The tables for me are not working my fibroid is very very big I'm talking ready to give birth Big!!! So has a result I will be going bk to have a injection to try and reduce size before my surgery in 8 weeks time.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there,

I took Esmya for 6 months. 3 months initially, then my consultant put me on for a further 3 months (no break in between). I had no side effects at all, and even my period didnt stop the entire time. My fibroids shrunk from about 7cm to 5cm. Hope this is somehow helpful xox

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I have been on esmya for 8 months, my biggest change was at the 6 week stage, when there was a 30% reduction in the fibroid. I have been having a scan every month, and it has also thinned the lining of my womb also. The licence only used to be to take for 3 months, however this has been increased to 6 months with a months break, after the 3 months.

I still have been having heavy periods, some people do stop when taking the medication, but have found taking Tranexamic acid for the first 4 days of my period helps a lot.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Kim216

Thats good news about the reduction in size. In the run up to my period, I experience, the same pain and bloating as before.  Ive been on Esmaya for 5 weeks now, and thought it was improving my quality of life.  My skin is very dull and spotty, my stomach feels bigger than usual, im not sure if its worth it, or maybe i have not given it a chance?

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne,please go and see your gyne,Esmya in my case, left my house bounded,

in severe pain with serious side effects,triggerde FIBROMYALAGIA,THE ROYAL LONDON HOSPITAL denied my symptoms,and i visit my GP frequently to work on my new medication PREGABALIN and  since May my life come to a standstill.Please look after yourself.Leila

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi yvonne

I had bad breakouts on esmya myself, are you on them while you wait your op? Esmya was not working for me to so they giving me a injection called leuprorelin today hopefully this will help shrink it before my op.. but mine is 30 wk pregnancy size..:-( fed up now just want my life bk, if you think it's not working speak to your gyne have they offered you any other alternative treatment other than hysterectomy?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Tanza, I was determined not to havean hysterctomy, so ive had the deppo injection - didnt work, then i have my womb scrapped, slight reduction - not much. Now Ive been introducted to Esmaya to trial. I go back to hospital in september and may have another 3 months. Im 47 so the whole idea is for my body to go into menopause without invasive surgery....its not looking good though. No quality of life. Have you put on weight from the drug?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi yvonne I was on the depo myself for about 1 yr.. It didn't help me either. . Iv not noticed no weight gain.. but was training in the gym but I had to stop cause iv no energy.. The fibroid is pressing on my kidney and bladder now so they brought my op forward for me.. see iv asked them to try save my womb, but iv seen at least 5 consultants now who r all saying to me to consider hysterectomy because of the size and the risk of hemriging  plus they can grow bk or they might be more that gets left behind:-/ im 30 iv got less than 8 weeks to make my mind up it's not looking gud at all.. I'm going to be getting rid of one problem to be face with early menopause and dnt what to do I'm so confused all I know is I can't go on like this for much longer.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Tanza, big decision as you are still young!!!! Again one of the reasaons why I dont want a hysterectomy, early menaopause, like you said exchanging one problem for the next!!!

I spoke to my husband and really if no other option, will have to go for the op. Hes suffering too in a way, but hes so patient with me.

Juat wished there was something other than surgery, but i know ultimately its the only way for me.

Ive had to take time off work in my most painful days, so really got to amke a decision myselfsad

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know iv explored all other non surgical options no of them are suitable for my size fibroid so for me it surgery or nothing and in the mean time this monster will continue to grow!!! Good luck Yvonne with what decision you make.. keep me updated with how you get on.. and I will do the same take care x
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up