Esmaya 5mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All

I have had problems with very large fibroids (20 week pregnancy stomach). I have been put on Esmaya 5mg. Very little side effects,although I do feel very tired most of the time.  But No PeriodS!!! and very little pain.  I was wondering if anyone has continued to take Esmaya after 12 weeks. I am now on my 14th week, due to see my gyno in September.

Although I probabley feel much better than I can remember since diagnosed with fibroids, Im just concerned that this is a new drug, and the long term effects, it may have.

1 like, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

I am now on week 15 of Esmya. My hysterectomy is booked for 22nd September. I have had a couple of very heavy bleeds while taking it and needed blood transfusions, iron infusion etc but didn't have any period pains so not sure that they were actually periods as such! My consultant told my GP to prescribe it for an extra month as they are now licenced for 6 months without a break. Throughout the whole course I have only felt a bit tired and headachy, certainly no worse than I did before starting them! Are you taking them to try to avoid surgery?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Initially yes, as im 48 and feel this could be a stepping stone before reaching menapause. I am looking at the procedure where my womb is scrapped. Will know more once ove spoken to consultant
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am 50 and a couple of years ago I thought I could cope with the heavy periods and pain etc until menopause but this May I started haemorrhaging and the consultant said hysterectomy would be best and other options might work for a while but would probably need op in the end! I hope the Esmya works for you and I am sure that soon there will be more info on long term use.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne

Please to read your post this evening, you're in a similar position to me (20 week size womb with 10 fibroids, I also have ovarian endometriosis, adhesions and my most recent addition to the list is blocked fallopian tube) - my lovely lady bits are a bit busy and cramped for space!  I was so happy my consultant was happy (and also interested to see how I did with such a new drug) for me to take esmya as I'd heard about it and some of the fantastic results some  ladies have had (as well as little or no results at all).

I already had stopped having my periods due to being on progesterone only pill for 4 months - no period - heaven!!!, minimum pain although my ovary would grumble for a couple of weeks here and there.  So I'd got used to a lot less discomfort from what had become 'normal'.  I was anxious about starting esmya and prayed, chanted, wished, begged the powers that be to make this work for me (it should help my endometriosis too although it's not licensed for it biggrin and I can honestly say I haven't stopped smiling.  I've had no side-effects although I had a couple of days where I cried and cried for no apparent reason - it did feel hormonal and this was near the start of the medication maybe at the two-week mark.  I've had some minor left ovary grumbling twice for 3-4 days each (the ovary is twice the size it should be and is stuck down on my womb, so I don't blame it for grumbling).  I put these grumbles down to whatever my ovary does because of the endometriosis as it's nothing new, just a lot less and so much quieter than the loud obvious throb it used to do.

I'm at 7 weeks of taking esmya and know I will be asking for another 3 months, unless something drastic changes between now and my check-up in 2 weeks.  I know my womb has got smaller as it no longer touches agains my belly button and I just feel smaller inside.

Apparently I've read on either this forum or another one that they are researching into this being taken for a longer period of time.  I'd be happy to be part of such res

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne

Please to read your post this evening, you're in a similar position to me (20 week size womb with 10 fibroids, I also have ovarian endometriosis, adhesions and my most recent addition to the list is blocked fallopian tube) - my lovely lady bits are a bit busy and cramped for space!  I was so happy my consultant was keen (and also interested to see how I did with a new drug) for me to take esmya as I'd heard about it and read some of the fantastic results some ladies have had (as well as little or no results at all).

I already had stopped having my periods due to being on progesterone only pill (which also worked for me but not shrinking fibroids) for 4 months - no period - heaven!!!, minimum pain although my ovary would grumble for a couple of weeks here and there.  So I'd got used to a lot less discomfort from what had become 'normal'.  I was anxious about starting esmya and prayed, chanted, wished, begged the powers that be to make this work for me (it should help my endometriosis too although it's not licensed for it biggrin and I can honestly say I haven't stopped smiling.  I've had no obvious side-effects although I had a couple of days where I cried and cried for no apparent reason - it did feel hormonal and this was near the start of the medication maybe at the two-week mark (and my body had to switch from no oestrogen at all to no progesterone at all).  I've had some minor left ovary grumbling twice for 3-4 days each (this ovary is twice the size it should be and is stuck down on my womb, so I don't blame it for grumbling).  I put these grumbles down to whatever my ovary does because of the endometriosis, it's nothing new, just a lot less obvious and so much quieter than the loud throb it used to do.

I'm at 7 weeks of taking esmya and know I will be asking for another 3 months, unless something drastic changes between now and my check-up in 2 weeks.  I know my womb has got smaller as it no longer touches against my belly button and I just feel smaller inside.

Apparently I've read on either this forum or another one that they are researching into this being taken for a longer period of time.  I'd be happy to be part of such research!

Basically I'm 44, sadly not had children, hysterectomy recommended which I'd been fighting against but have come round to letting my poorly over worked left ovary go, fingers crossed the esmya shrinks the fibroids to make an apparently difficult op easier and also if they shrink enough to keep my womb too. It's a wait and see for me.  

I'm so happy with everything so far, I'm pain-free, smiling so much more, feel like I'm living a full life rather than thinking all the time about pain, swollen tummy and tiredness and exhaustion - one thing's for sure whatever my outcome I'm not going back to that kind of existence.

I love this website and follow with great interest how everyone is doing.

What us women go through hey? smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi victoria.So pleased for you. I feel ive got so much relief. Im apprehensive too, as it feels too good to be true!!! For so long ive suffered and now I feel better than ever. Im even managing to loose a bit of weight!! I feel im in a win sin situation. Long may it stay :
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up