Esmya

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have just completed my second round of a 3mth course of Esmaya, I will have a 2mth break with a view to start another course in March. I find the tablets a great relief but dread coming off them. I am 47 and have fibroids that are in the muscle lining, I was supposed to have a hysterectomy last year but was a bit anxious and the date kept getting moved due to strike action so bottled it. Has anyone else found if esmya has been effective in shrinking fibroids that are in the muscle because I don't think they are shrinking?  At my last ultra sound they hadn't grown just stayed the same size.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this right.  You just finished a second round of Esmaya.  So you have had a total of 6 months of hormone therapy.  Or have you just finished the second month of a three month course?  And the fibroids are the same???

Change to a different hormone for the next round.  

I have been using Fibristal for just over two months and I don't feel the ball in my tummy when I do sit ups anymore.  Two of my fibroids are in the muscle of the uterus, while the third is hanging from the top like a trapese artist.  I am going for my ulatrasound in February to find out if they have shrunk any.  But I'm pretty sure that the two in the walls of my uterus have shrunk.  I used to feel them when inserting a tampon.  I don't feel them anymore.  

• Posted

Hi, just to be clear, fibristal and Esmya are the same drug, it is not a hormone, rather a progesterone blocker or modulator, so as far as I am aware there is not any other drug with a similar effect. 

I had significant shrinkage when using Esmya, I have taken it for 3 courses, and last time I had relief from bleeding and pain for around 6 months. Although the fibroids have grown again, they have never grown back to the original size before treatment. I have just started another course.

• Posted

Thanks Christine,

Have you stopped taking the Esmaya or are you continuing with them?

• Posted

Thanks for you feedback. Yes I have had two lots of three month course with a two month break inbetween. I am hoping to be offered another course in March. I finished the last course over a week ago and have had no heavy bleed yet, which seems strange!
    • Posted

Hi, I am still taking it, nearly done first month of this course. The bleeding has greatly reduced, but still getting a 'show' most days. 

• Posted

I just started esmya for the first time. How'd you go with your first month? I've read other posts on here that ithe first month is the hardest with side effects.

• Posted

Hi Jess, yes in my experience the first couple of weeks are the worst, headaches, dizziness, then the menopausal flushes kick in. I take it at night and this seems to lessen the side effects. Nearly finished the first month now and headaches and dizziness have gone.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! Been taking them in the morning, but think I'll switch to night. Just have to have 18 alarms to remember haha

How immediate did you feel the side effects?Was it within days? Just trying to prepare myself, my work and my brand new housemate! Poor thing is in for a treat haha

• Posted

Thanks. I thought i was going crazy thinking i was having side effects so quickly.
  • Posted

FIBROIDS and UTERUS HUGE BEFORE PERIOD...HELP!!!

Hi there.... this is a first for me. I am 50 years old.

In brief I was told 16 months ago I had fibroids.. quite large. I went on a strict diet and after returning to the hospital was told they had shrunk by 40%. I was absolutely delighted. However, my sweats have stopped and my period is back albeit not heavy like it used to be BUT last month and this month I can feel my fibroid. It's huge! After my period last month it shrunk.... I am praying it does it again this month. I can't sleep and I am so uncomfortable.  Don't know whether to take the tabs as I can't carry on like this. I don't want a hysterectomy as hopefully I am starting the menopause. But I am petrified that these are going to carry on growing even though my gynaecologist discharged me saying"they will now continue to shrink". Can I ask if the week before your period your fibroids and uterus become huge?

Thanks to anyone who replies....

• Posted

Hi Jane, can't really remember about the periods, I have had fibroids for several years now and I'm menopausal at 59. I do know my stomach seems more firm and bloated some times than others. I would definitely monitor your fibroid(s), I was told mine would shrink but they didn't, they have continued to grow and the only way to shrink them has been to take Esmya. And still they grow back when I stop taking it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.