Evening meals?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am really at a loss what to have for an evening meal as everything I pick up in the freezer section eg. Salmon cakes/burgers/sausages/vegetarian options....etc are way over the 5g of fat.

we can't afford as a family to all be eating different things and I have a child with ADHD who has to eat high fat due to  his appetite suppressing meds and a 3 year old who needs a certain amount in his diet so not cheap to be purchasing fresh chicken or fish all the time for meals then trying to make/buy marinades or sauces to make it more interesting.

i have stocked up on couscous/rice/pasta/potatoes but what do I serve with them that doesn't break the bank? Getting fed up of the complete diet restrictions!

i know everyone is  thinking that I should be eating healthy but what exactly is healthy!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It's very difficult when there are several different food requirements in a family.  I would find that a nightmare.  Could you do obey meal for the family and another for you, ie pasta salad, cous cous salad etc - I usually make more of both of these then have them for lunch the next couple of days sorry I don't have more suggestions - hopefully you will find your groove xx
  • Posted

One thing I sometimes do is chicken and pasta. Gently fry an onion in fry light, add one chicken breast cut up, cook, add one tin chopped tomatoes and some basil if you have it. Cook pasta separately and serve one on the other! This amount serves two but can obviously be doubled up. It makes a little chicken go a long way, is under the 5g rule and is delicious.
  • Posted

You could always try and get meat from your local market or butcher, it's better quality and you get loads more than you do at the supermarket, same for fruit and veg. If you can plan your meals you can actually save money,  I use myfitnesspal to work out meal ideas.

I know it's hard in today's climate but if you want to keep the weight off after the pills freezer foods might not be the best option to get used to.

You could always make up the fat content on side dishes for your kids e g putting butter on their potatoes but not yours, adding olive oil to their meals but leaving yours without, a table spoon of olive oil has 14g of fat, so maybe supplementing with things like that could be good. 

• Posted

totally understand, food is so expensive, fruit and veg being the main.  I but extra lean mince and make burgers, chilly, shepards pie etc, its normally the cheapest meat thing or a fresh chicken.  Sainsburys do frozen white fish in a bag and the portions are quite big.

It is hard but i do shop around for the best bargain even going in the late evening when the shops are reducing items down.

Keep going lovely Hen Hugs xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.