Evening primrose oil for fibrocystic breast pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

My midwife suggested I start taking evening primrose oil for my non-cyclic fibrocystic breast pain. She prefaced the suggestion with letting me know that there's no real scientific data to support its benefits, but that there's enough anecdotal evidence for her to suggest it may help.

Anyone use it and find relief?

0 likes, 2 replies

Report / Delete

2 Replies

• Posted

My gynaecologist recommended it forĀ  premenstrual symptoms,including breast discomfort and for general aches and pains at that time of the month. I have been taking it for several years now and can recommend it.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I can certainly recommend it!!   Many years ago I found a lump in my breast, one of several in my "lumpy" breasts, but it turned out to be a cyst so I saw a consultant and had it drained and it never came back.  I told the consultant that I had been having VERY painful breasts, not only at the time of the month but all the time. It was so bad that I couldn't bear to take my bra off so kept it on all the time. I was told by him and also the breast nurse that I should take Evening Primrose Oil for four months "to flood" my body with the active ingredient which isn't the EPO but something called GLA (gamma linolenic acid)  He told me that the daily dose is 240mg of GLA and I did this by buying some capsules with 80mg of GLA in each. They were One a Day capsules but you can take up to three a day. Even if it says 1000mg of Evening Primrose Oil, it's the GLA that is important. He said that too little won't work and too much will be a waste.  I took the capsules for four months and I have to say that it was miraculous - all the pain went, my lumpy breasts softened and I have never had the pain back.   It's supposed to be good for your hair and nails so even if it doesn't help much with the breast pain it will be good for something so I think you should try it. Hope this helps.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up