ever deepening depression , yet can feel so good .

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have been on venlaxafine for many years now and my gp put me on quetiapine about 3 months ago , slowly my dose has been increased from 25mg to 150mg and as it has gone up my depression has deepened , i have never felt so low fed up sad emotional , i feel like a stranger in my own world , nothing means anything to me i feel void of emoions love care , i wake up , force myself to go to work to talk to people even my family wife and children , then out of the blue i will feel normal ,  i will smile , maybe laugh and every thing seems so much better , then it could be minutes or hours i go back to the most horrendous low mood , wanting to cry be left alone ,with the overwelming thoughts of what is the point of life , does any body think its the meds making me feel like this as i nhave never had feelings like this before had bad anxiety but never such bad depression , i have a good job no money worries i am healthy , i have never smoked and dont drink and have a lovly caring family so why do i feel so low .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am only on 25mg of quetiapine and am well for a couple of months then ill for 3 months. I really wonder what these drugs do to you. I am also on 100mg sertraline but I feel so depressed and unmotivated right now. Like you I go to work try to smile etc then end up in tears if anyone asks if I'm ok. I have been on this combination for 2 years but have been having very dark thoughts at the moment. I just wake up obe morning and there it is. Can't concentrate and cant be bothered to do anything at all. I know how you feel. It's awful.
  • Posted

Terry that rollercoaster type effect of out of the blue you feel respite ...normal, before returning back to hell ...is familiar to me also.

I would say we have much in common ...but in my case I was made redundant from my job in 2010, before that I lost my father who I cared for in 2006, and my mother in a RTA in '97 and my sister to breast cancer in 1993 ..also I have been a single parent to 3 for some 12 years and have financial worries and being forced to sell my home due to greed of my ex. Maybe me telling you all this puts your life and circumstances into perspective and helps you not feel quite so down/depressed.

I wish you all the best and hope your pain will go away..

Karl

• Posted

Hi Terry, I am on venlafaxine at the moment, I am just interested to know why your doctor changed medication, especially as you feel worse after the change.

I am so sorry you are feeling so low, I hope it changes soon.

Wishing you the best.

Pat

• Posted

Quetiapine is a very strong drug used in the treatment of Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder.

Venlafaxine is an antidepressant.

I have heard of instances where there has been an interreaction between these two drugs.

The medical advice is if you do suffer from any strange thoughts, particularly suicidal thoughts when taking either or both these drugs you should refer back to your doctor without delay.

• Posted

Could well be the drugs.  I have been on pain killers that made me depressed, and tablets for bad stomach that gave me really bad anxiety and agitation.  All drugs have side effects.  They affect us all differently.  One person may get side effects from a drug and another person may not.  If you think it is the medication, go see your doctor, like I did. 

I had anti depressants that made me feel violent, another that gave me involuntary movements, and one that was so bad it made me really ill and suicidal.

Yes I honestly think it could be the meds.  What is the point in taking something if it makes you feel worse???

• Posted

If quietipine is making you worse go back to the gp. I am only on 25mg and I feel like That to. Had to be off work today. Im waiting for a med review im on sertraline too and that makes me anxious
    • Posted

been to the gp today he is going to reduce the quetiapine and wants me to drop venlaxafine and replace it with citroplan feel very anxious about withdrawels

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.